Help accessing college network... DNS override?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by joejoejoe, Oct 15, 2007.

1. joejoejoe macrumors 65816

Hey,

I'm trying to access my college campus WiFi. I did some searching on the net and on these forums and found that since there's a "splash screen logon" for my campus internet, I need to use a "DNS Override" to access the wifi.... how exactly do i do this? What is a DNS override? Does it potentially harm the phone?

Thanks thanks

2. joejoejoe thread starter macrumors 65816

3. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Campus WiFi...

I've connected several times, but I find that EDGE is a much better connection, so I turn my WiFi OFF and just navigate to my campus website via Safari. I double-tap the screen once the website comes up and then enter my USER name, press DONE, touch PASSWORD, type in my password, press done and my campus email system appears. I've also connected in a similar fashion via my campus website and locate the webmail LINK and follow the procedures as if you were logging on after you've selected your campus WiFi. Once you log on it's a breeze.

Logging on to my campus; I go to sfsu.edu, then select MySFSU, press GO, I'm promted to webmail, then I tap USERNAME, type in my USERNAME press DONE, tap PASSWORD type my password press DONE, and tap LOGIN and POOF, I'm checking my campus email via campus WiFi. As I stated earlier, I find that WiFi butts heads with EDGE and I'll get msgs stating that iPhone cannot find the SERVER, so I just operate off the EDGE!:cool:

DNS = Domain Name System
    Good Luck-