Help accessing data from other user's folder

Discussion in 'macOS' started by fredoviola, Nov 21, 2011.

1. fredoviola macrumors regular

Hi there, folks

I'm an artist and have recently created a second user with no access to certain websites to try and control my urge to procrastinate. The only problem is, all the work that I've done (and need to keep accessing) is in the folders of my main user folder. Is there an easy way to access this? I'm referring specifically to Logic songs I've created there, so there are really a lot of files, too many (and too large) to copy into a new folder.

Many thanks in advance for your help!

- Fredo

BTW, I'm using 10.6.8 on a MacBook Pro.

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

From the original user account, Get Info on the folder containing the items you want access to. Down at the bottom, unlock the settings (if necessary) with the little padlock symbol, then click on the + button and choose the second user. Change the dropdown for that user in the list to Read and Write, and click the arrow button at the bottom of the list and select Apply to Enclosed Items. Go back to the other user account and make sure you can access the folder now (if it's inside of a folder you can't access, repeat the process for that folder too).

jW

3. fredoviola thread starter macrumors regular

YAY! Thanks so much!!!