Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

loztheguru

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
I've got a backup of my previous Mac via Time Machine on an external HDD.

I don't want to restore the whole thing to my new system, but I would like some of the files from my old user folder - things from Documents, Desktop etc.

When I navigate to the relevant folders I am told by OS X I don't have permission to access these. I imagine this is something to do with my old user account. Is there any way I can get into these folders? I can remember my old password but perhaps not the specific username?

Thanks in advance!

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Attach the TM disk then select it in Finder and do command-i to get the info window then check the box below to ignore permissions on that drive. That should allow you to navigate to /Users then whatever user account and folder you want to copy data from.

HsRyxAA.png

loztheguru

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
Thanks for that but alas the 'Ignore Permissions' check box has gone AWOL. It's available on my other internal drive, but on neither of the partitions of my Time Machine drive.

Any ideas? A quick google suggests this is normally because it's a boot drive, but this is not the case here!

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Thanks for that but alas the 'Ignore Permissions' check box has gone AWOL. It's available on my other internal drive, but on neither of the partitions of my Time Machine drive.

Any ideas? A quick google suggests this is normally because it's a boot drive, but this is not the case here!

Hmm... try option key clicking the Time Machine menulet then select browse other backup disks and pick the old backup set and see if that will let you in. I suspect you will need the password for the account though.

loztheguru

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
Alas no, but I think i've worked out the issue - I am currently using the same drive as a Time Machine backup for my current machine. I think if I have a fiddle with settings and disable it I may get back in. Thanks for all the tips and advice!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.