Help! Accidentally changed RAM while MBP was in sleep mode

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thefizzle657, Sep 2, 2012.

1. thefizzle657 macrumors regular

I was upgrading the RAM on a friend's MBP and in my stupidity didn't check to make sure the computer was off instead of asleep/hibernating. When I opened up the lid to turn the computer on and realized that it was resuming from hibernation I did a hard power down and then turned the computer on.

So far there hasn't been any signs of any damage, but is there anything that I should do to test the machine and anything that I should look for (ie kernel panics)? I was careful not to touch the logic board or anything else in the computer so my hope is that if anything was damaged it was just the old or new RAM which I can easily replace.

Thanks.

2. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

run the apple hardware test from a OS disk, if it passes that then you're good - got off lucky.

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

It's probably fine, as the other poster suggested, run AHT just to be sure.

4. thefizzle657 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks to both of you for the help :)

I tried running the AHT on with the new RAM in and it froze, tried taking out one stick of the new and it gave me a 4MEM error repeatedly. So I put the old RAM back in and it passed the quick test and I'm now running the extended test. I'm gonna try again with the new RAM just to make sure that it was seated properly.

But it looks like this will only have been at the most a $30 mistake instead of a $500+ mistake.

5. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

Yeah I don't think it should cost too much/anything to rectify. Good luck.

6. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

What RAM did you go with? It's possible that it just doesn't work with your computer.

7. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

If it was in the $30 range, it suggests one of the cheaper brands. There's a high chance he just got a bad stick.

8. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I dunno, I picked up 2 x 4GB set of Corsair for $32 a couple months ago.

9. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Sometimes ram arrives doa or somewhat defective. Complaints of such things exist on the forum. It's not like it happens on every sale. You just check ram when you install it. If it turns out bad, return it or request a replacement. It's better to know if there's a problem. The bigger issue is that people begin to question whether their computer can take that much even if it has already been proven.

10. thefizzle657 thread starter macrumors regular

I went with GSKILL brand RAM, almost all of the brands were priced around the same and since GSKILL seems to be a known brand I just went with it since it was the cheapest. Its a 2011 MBP so I know it can take 8GB (And I got PC-10600 1333Mhz so I know it's the right CL, clock speed etc.). I generally only stay away from brands like Komputerbay that I've heard bad things about. For the most part RAM seems to be mostly the same (makes sense considering that there are only 3 RAM makers now).

The memory keeps on failing the tests so I am going to RMA it and see what happens. The original sticks pass all tests and seem to be absolutely fine. Thanks again!

11. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Yeah, g.skill is a pretty good brand. I've used it in Macs before with no problems.

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I've done that many times, I don't think it's an issue. Well assuming you disconnected the battery like you're suppose to do.