HELP! accidentally deleted important files (Photos) and need to resurrect them

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by marcel-v, Jun 5, 2008.

1. marcel-v macrumors regular

I screwed up useing aperture and a few of my library projects were sent to the trash, from which i have deleted them. is there any way to get them back? please!

2. Santa Rosa macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

3. Sherman Homan macrumors 6502

My fave is Data Rescue II. It has a demo mode so you can run it to see if there is anything to recover. Please be aware, your files are on your drive, they can be recovered, but anything you do will increase the risk that they will get overwritten. Don't restart, do not even download Data Rescue on that Mac. Use another machine, get a USB drive or burn it on a CD.
    http://www.prosofteng.com/products/data_rescue.php

4. marcel-v thread starter macrumors regular

should i install the program onto a cd and run it from there? can the demo recover the files?

5. marcel-v thread starter macrumors regular

Excellent, thank you this program is brilliant! From now on I'm using time machine though

6. Santa Rosa macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

Good to hear you got it sorted out, im going to keep a note of that program though, you just never know.... :( :D

7. DrWhiteFPS macrumors member

I did something similar. I had originally downloaded a "trial" of aperture. I then bought the full version. I was cleaning up my hard drive and saw a file "trial.aperture.library" I thought it was the old one and deleted it.

I know...dumb...

I called apple - they said "sorry Charlie". I called an apple store in nyc - they said " the data is lost ".

Well, I found data rescue 2 through a friend and let me tell you - it got all of them back. Don't think twice about using this program. It is awesome. You will have to reorganize things but it gets the files back - both the originals and the jpeg previews...

but you have to do it quick - if you keep emptying your trash after you deleted the file the traces will be eventually removed from your hard drive. So if you screwed up - download immediately.

8. ashjamben macrumors 6502a