Help! Accidentally deleted stripe

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jasonwang99, Jul 31, 2007.

1. jasonwang99 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

First time poster... just got my Mac Pro 2.66 a few weeks ago for my photography business and personal video editing work. I added two 500GB seagate drives in a stripe with no problems when I first got it. Today I added two more with the intention of mirroring that stripe. So, the first mistake I made was creating a new raid but instead of a stripe, I made in a mirror. To fix mistake #1, I went to delete it so I could replace it with a new stripe. Unfortunately, and this is where my butt cheeks are starting to pucker, I ended up deleted both the old stripe and the new mirror. That was mistake #2. ARGH!!! The disks haven't physically changed, but I don't know if there's a way to get the stripe back.

So, am I screwed or am I screwed? I think I'm screwed.

Any thoughts as to what might save my ass?

(Almost everything is backed up at least...)

Thanks for the help!

-Jason

2. termina3 macrumors 65816

I would agree that you're pretty much screwed, but it's possible to get it back if you haven't repartitioned. There are some programs out there that claim to be able to recover files... but I don't think you'll have enough luck to justify the time needed to do that. Just back up your remaining drive and set up a 4-stripe RAID. Or a 0+1 if that's what you were trying to do...

3. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

Data Rescue II has rescued me several times.

http://www.prosofteng.com/products/data_rescue_info.php

It may help for you. You can download it and see if it'll rescue the files before you pay for it.

A word of warning - once when I'd recreated a partition, and needed to recover the files from the corrupted drive, it collected all the files but split them slightly wrong (MP3s split halfway through, for example). It was very odd, but it only happened to about 50 files (I was recovering 50,000, so it didn't matter that 50 were gone, nothing was over the moon important that time).

4. jasonwang99 thread starter macrumors newbie

oh well

Thanks for the help. I just ended up using my backup to refresh the data. It's in a Raid 10 now so hopefully I don't ever make that mistake again.

One other question... do you guys do tape/hard drive/DVD backup for old stuff? I've been able to keep up with hard drive backups with drives getting cheaper and cheaper, but now with HD video, I have a feeling space is going to run out much more quickly.

Tapes seem like a pain and the drives are expensive. DVD's are cheap but they don't hold a ton and aren't exactly archival. Maybe wait for blu-ray drives/media to come down in price?

5. KD7IWP macrumors 6502a

KD7IWP

I don't think you would have been able to get them back, even with Data Rescue, because it wouldn't have seen the two drives as one.