HELP! Accidentally put iPhone 3GS in so called 'Recovery Mode'

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jamesaporta, Dec 22, 2010.

1. jamesaporta macrumors newbie

So here's the thing.
    The other day my iPhone 3GS froze when I was loading twitter so I accidentally did the whole 'Press Home and Start/Sleep button' by accident and now my iPhone constantly reboots with the 'iTunes USB logo' showing.
    I've tried all these options. The whole 'iRecovery', 'Firmware Umbrella' and even the simple switch on and off but is their anything that works that will make my iPhone turn back to normal? Because if I restore it back in iTunes, I'm pretty sure it'll erase all my data.
    Please help! I think I had the latest Firmware version and no, my phone isn't jailbroken.

2. machasm macrumors member

If you have ever had it connected to itunes it would have created a backup of your phone.
    If thats the case and you can't seem to get out of recovery mode then if you recover via itunes you should then be able to restore all of your settings from said backup.

3. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

You have to restore now. No other option. You should always have a backup of your iPhone in iTunes.

4. jamesaporta thread starter macrumors newbie

If I restored it on my iTunes, would it erase all the photos from the 'Camera Roll' and messages/contacts basically all the data?

5. dast1g macrumors regular

dast1g

Fiddle with the home and power button for a bit it should pop back on all ok . I sometimes got stuck on that when I was jailbreaking my iPhone 4 and just messed about with the buttons for a min or two and it popped back on . You don't need to restore .

6. jamesaporta thread starter macrumors newbie

^^^^^^^^^ I've tried that dude, so many times. :(

What if your internet speed is Dial Up and it won't get you pass the 'Update and Restore' option because your network connection is too slow.
    Yeah, I've got so much issues. Argh!

7. labman macrumors 604

labman

try plunging it in loading tiny Umbrella and kicking it out also holding down the home button and keep holding it sometimes works. worse case you will loose pics etc since last backup. this is why I backup fairly often.. gl

8. jamesaporta thread starter macrumors newbie

Fail. :( Agh. Losing hope!

9. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

For camera roll, i think you need to back it up yourself with Imagecapture (Mac). As for messages and contacts, it should be backed up.

10. labman macrumors 604

labman

in TU is it recognizing your iphone? is the Kick it out recovery option available, or does it not even give you the option. the home button works separate i've had to hold it almost a minute to stop the recovery. another program to try is IReb I'm not a big Ih8sn0w fan I don't like the jb. however this program did save my but once in a similar situation. http://ih8sn0w.com/index.php/products/view/ireb.snow

11. jamesaporta thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes! Tiny Umbrella recognized my phone and I did the 'kick out of recovery mode' but it would go back to the same 'itunes connect' screen reboot.

12. labman macrumors 604

labman

looks like you have no option then. I hope you didn't loose to much. in the future sync more often. so you won't loose valuable photo's and info. sorry!

13. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

If all you did was put your phone into recovery mode, then it should be easy to get out. Just press and hold both the home button and sleep/wake button until the Apple logo appears, then release both. Your phone should then boot normally.