Help: Accidently started to partition the target disk MBP!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by coledog, Nov 14, 2008.

1. coledog macrumors 6502a

coledog

Alright, so I was working on my 12" PB, trying to target disc install on it.

I was using my dad's MBP (mine is the unibody with FW 800) and after the thing gave me an error with the PB's hard drive I went to format it.

Didn't go so hot as I clicked the target mac's hard drive instead of the PB's.
    It had JUST started to partition (first little bar had appeared) when I realized that the size didn't match and it was the wrong disk.

Guess it had already started to format and now it won't boot into OSX. I have Data Rescue II and other software...won't mind purchasing stuff either.

I really need to get the data back and would love to just repair the boot record if there's a way to do so...

Give me your ideas!

2. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Do an archive and install? I think that would work? That way you get a fresh start.

Is this the 12" PB with the dead superdrive you're selling?

3. coledog thread starter macrumors 6502a

coledog

Well I was using the MBP to install OSX on the PB (with dead hd) before shipping it out.

The OSX installer can't see the hard drive on the MBP unless I open up disk utility and then i can see a corrupt hard disk.

I'm running a thorough scan with Data Rescue right now off my gf's PB that I had forgotten was here. (might be a lifesaver)

So...2.7 hours from now I'll know a bit more about how deep in trouble i am.

4. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

5. coledog thread starter macrumors 6502a

coledog

I used Data Rescue 2 to get the email etc off the hard drive by way of firewire to a PB. The scan took about 2.5 hours on a 120gig hd and recovery wasn't very long at all. Worked great!

Then all I had to do was format and install Leopard! My dad is up and running.