Help? Account owner vs primary line vs authorized user?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by katiesham, Jun 23, 2010.

1. katiesham macrumors member

Stupid question, but I'm a tad confused.

My dad is the "Account Owner".
    I am the "Primary Line".

I know many people have been saying that "Authorized Users" can't purchase phones at Apple stores.
    I must have some power on the account because I just made myself an authorized user.

It's late. And I'm confused. Can I buy a phone tomorrow or no?

2. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

I am in the SAME EXACT situation. My Dad is the "Account Owner" according to AT&T Wireless, however I am listed as "Primary User" for my number, and I have listed myself as "Retail Authorized User". I have asked the same exact question in another thread...and I have gotten no definitive answer.

I was on the phone 3 hours last night with Apple Store San Francisco (long distance) and 1-800-MY-APPLE and the Apple Store online chat.

I still could get NO ANSWER on the situation.

They said "probably" I can get the iPhone with no problem since I am the Primary and Authorized User, but I would need to check with AT&T to be sure. AT&T has put me on hold for 2 days straight and I can't get through to them.

I am going to go the Apple Store anyways at 4am tomorrow morning with my credit card, my ID, and my Dad's social security number and see if I can pick up an iPhone anyways. At least they might give me a chance for waiting in line for 4 hours!!!

Good luck!!!

EDIT: Check this thread for more info about my escapade:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=944698

3. katiesham thread starter macrumors member

Hah! So frustrating. I'm doing the same tomorrow.

I know that AT&T is fine with authorized users buying the phone in their store because that's what the "Authorized User" thing is.

And I think mine might be a little different than yours? Because I'm actually listed as the "Primary Line" when you click to look at all of our accounts.

I don't know. SO FRUSTRATING.

4. Neil1138 macrumors regular

I've had no problems in the past (over 18 and an authorized user on a family plan). Just to make sure I called the apple store again today and some guy said it wouldn't be a problem. Who knows though, I'm still heading up there around 4am, haha

From what I know, it won't be a problem if you are upgrading a current line. But if you want to add a new line as an authorized user, it's not going to happen (at an apple store)

5. Tara Luvs Apple macrumors 6502a

Most of the time, Apple does not allow an authorized user to buy the phone. The account holder needs to be there, regardless. Some stores will let you slip by though. It will really all depend on what happens when you go to pay. Do not be mad if you are turned away. There is a place on AT&T's website that states authorized users are unable to purchase an iPhone at an Apple store. You would be okay going to AT&T (if they were allowing walk-in's tomorrow).

When I upgraded to the 3G, I even brought the paper that I printed from my online account stating that I was the authorized user, and they gave me a hard time.

6. katiesham thread starter macrumors member

I'm really not trying to be a pain here, but I feel like my case is different because it says "Primary Line". I even made myself an authorized user through MY account.

7. Tara Luvs Apple macrumors 6502a

The account holder on my account does not even have an AT&T phone...

8. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

I did the same thing. I am on a FamilyTalk plan and I have two phones under this account, both list MY NAME as "Primary" under users. When I log-in it says "Welcome WARD CURRY" and both my lines say "WARD CURRY" as primary. "Account Owner" lists my dad, and has his office address as the billing address. I have logged into my wireless.att.com account and listed myself (full legal name) as "Retail Authorized User" for my phone.

So, that's my situation. It's exactly the same exact situation as you are in Katie. All I have to say is, Good luck!!

All the best,
    Ward

9. katiesham thread starter macrumors member

Ah, sorry! Didn't mean to make assumptions.
    Good luck to you tomorrow as well! Hope we can both end up with a phone. :)

10. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Does this apply to AT&T or any carrier that you're coming from? I only ask because while my Dad is away on a business trip (he's the account holder), my Mom is driving me to Walmart tomorrow to nab the only two iPhone 4s they have. My Mom has his Social Security number and T-Mobile account number and also the most recent bill. It should be okay right? My Mom is also on our 3 line T-Mobile family plan. I don't want to wait until my Dad returns because that's weeks from now.

11. note235 macrumors 6502a

im in the same boat, we'll see now wont we haha?
    should be fun---but my store says it fine as long as its retail authorized

12. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

The only information I found that was a little disconcerting was when I read the FAQ/Info for Adding a Retail Authorized User here:

http://www.wireless.att.com/answer-center/main.jsp?t=solutionTab&solutionId=KB90110

It says, and I quote:

"Retail Authorized Users and Apple Stores - If visiting an Apple store, the primary account holder must be present. "

Primary Account Holder???? Is that the Account Owner or the "Primary User"?

13. D3lta macrumors 6502a

I called my Apple Store last week to ask this and the woman (who sounded like she knew what she was talking about) said that as long as I'm 18+, an authorized user and upgrading my own number, I should be fine.

If I find out tomorrow morning that's not true, I'll be talking to the manager and won't leave the store without an iPhone 4 in my hand.:cool:

14. note235 macrumors 6502a

my store manager said the same thing for my own line