Help activating/unlocking iphone 3Gs?!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by j3welzinc, Oct 6, 2011.

1. j3welzinc macrumors newbie

Hi I'm wondering if anyone can help me or possibly tell me what is best to do next. I'm new to unlocking/jail breaking and not particularly tech savvy.

I have recently bought a used iphone 3Gs from an acquaintance. I assumed he had it restored but told me that it wasn't unlocked and that it was locked to the Orange network here in the UK. I went to Orange to get myself a sim which the sales consultant assured me would work, inserted it in and plugged it in to iTunes for activation, but it tells me that the sim I am using is not supported. I went back to Orange where they confirm the phone is locked, perhaps to another network and that nothing is wrong with the current sim I am using. I ordered a free sim from every network provider here in UK :( and I'm waiting for the rest of them to arrive. I've tried some but the same message shows up on iTunes.

I later went to an Apple store where they managed to comfirm that the phone is in fact under Orange network, however the previous owner had the original phone replaced for a new one due to a faulty issue and that the iphone I currently have is the new one, which Orange may have failed to register it's IMEI number in their database. :confused: This is where I start to get confused as staff at Apple told me to get Orange to register the current IMEI number. Back I went to Orange where I tried my best to explain but they shot me down quickly saying it has nothing to do with them and I should return to Apple.

I really am not sure what the problem is here, and all I want is to activate and use my phone. Orange has suggested that I get it unlocked and that they wont do it for me. Should I go back to Apple? Although I'm uncertain how much more they can help me with. Or should I unlock it myself? If I were to unlock it, where do I start? I'm really clueless and I have no idea what OS it is running on. And the guy who sold it to me is reluctant to help.

Sorry for the long story!!! But any help would be much appreciated!! Thanks so much!

2. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Before we can tell you what the next step would be, please give us the following info;

Firmware version
    Baseband

Go to setting, general, about and look at firmware version & modem firmware (baseband).

Also, what kind of computer do you have that you will use to work on this phone? Mac or PC?

3. j3welzinc thread starter macrumors newbie

I can't even get past the emergency call screen though?? And I'm using a Mac. Thanks!

4. Crystal-RX, Oct 6, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2011

Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX