Help Activating Used 3GS From A LG Xenon- Questions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bowlerman625, Aug 21, 2010.

1. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

Hi,

My friends are buying my 3GS for their college freshman daughter. I plan on helping her tomorrow get it set up in iTunes. I will use her laptop to do this. She currently has a LG Xenon with ATT.

I planned on just using the existing SIM card from her LG Xenon phone and activating the 3GS through her iTunes account on her laptop. Does anybody know if this existing SIM in her Xenon will fit in the 3GS as is?

Is the used activation process pretty simple? I've only activated my new iPhones this way and never had a problem. I'm just wondering if the process to activate a used iPhone mirrors the new iPhone activation process. I'm trying to avoid having to go to an ATT store to do this process or save my friends from having to go do this. Her dad will be here helping me with something at the house and I thought I could get this done for her while they are here at my house.

Any thoughts, hints, tips and suggestions for a smooth activation will be really appreciated.

Thanks!! I appreciate your time and your help!

Mike

2. bowlerman625 thread starter macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

3. Jare macrumors 65816

Jare

If the sim carrier matches the phones carrier lock (IE AT&T, Rogers, etc) then it shall activate but you may get spammed with texts to add a data plan, I'm not sure about that though.

If the iPhone is (in example) from AT&T and the sim card is an AT&T sim card, then a simple placement of the sim in the iPhone and plug into iTunes should work without hassle.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, any AT&T simcard will activate it and any regural size simcard will work in the 3GS.
    Like said above, they wont spam you with texts to add a data, now they automaticly add it to your account and just text you to notify you that they already did.
    So an iphone on an AT&T account needs the appropriate data plan.

5. bowlerman625 thread starter macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

6. bowlerman625 thread starter macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

Wow! It was super easy! Once I put her SIM in the phone it said it was activated. She could make calls and send texts immediately. I did not need to do anything in iTunes first!