Help adding my honda civic audio system !

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by XheartcoreboyX, Dec 9, 2007.

1. XheartcoreboyX macrumors 6502a

XheartcoreboyX

so i got my 2007 civic sedan before 3 weeks..the audio system is horrible for me..

so im going to replace it with stuff from Poineer :D

I need help to choose the most suitable equipment :

-CD/usb/Aux stereo .
    -2 rear speakers .
    - subwoofer
    - Amplifier

...whats the best for the car size and stuff ???

thanks for any help :cool:

2. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

the first and most important thing to start off with would be a head unit. make sure that you get one that has enough power, and has an ipod hook up with it as well. i dont' know much about pioneer decks, im an alpine man myself. the next thing you are going to want to get would be component speakers for the front. these are going to give you the best sound for you and your front seat passenger. in order to get the full potential out of those your are going to need a separate amp just for those speakers, which you can hide under a seat. i would really just forget about rear speakers for now, and the last thing i would get would be a 12" sub for the trunk with a mono amp that give the sub all the power it craves!

Deck: I went with alpine because they have the best ipod hookup: http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?o=r&g=300&i=500CDA9885&tp=5684

Components:if you want to really blow yourself away these will do it: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v3/pg/product/details/0,,2076_310069894_291263623,00.html

Amp for Speakers: really nice: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v3/pg/product/details/0,,2076_310069933_369685159,00.html

Sub: i would just recommend a Alpine either type R or X sub: those can be had from 200-300$

Mono Amp: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v3/pg/product/details/0,,2076_310069935_375046824,00.html

be ready to spend some serious money if you really want the best sound. i didn't give you the best of the best but this is good stuff. your looking at around $2000 plus if you are going to do it all at once! good luck and have fun with it all!

3. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Personally I think if you aren't familiar with more powerful head units you should start with a Pioneer. Alpine makes good hardware but the interfaces are confusing and not well laid out.

I'd go with a Pioneer headunit and maybe some polk momo speakers and an infinity basslink powered sub. That way you can pull the sub out easily if you need the trunk space and not have to pony up for an amp when it's only needed for the sub (Pioneer's MOSFET 50watt amp is plenty of power for the mid's and tweeter).

And remember, everyone hears differently so listen to the speakers yourself with your music (ipod, cd, etc) before deciding. Otherwise your going to get 10 people telling you to get 10 different types of speakers.

4. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

like i said im a alpine man and i love everything they make, i know there are good options from pioneer for headunits, but the fact is that alpine makes the easiest and fastest ipod integrated system, so i figured that would be something he would like, and if you don't have an ipod then don't worry about that. but i do think that component speakers of any type will be the BEST option for good sounding music. you don't have to spend a fortune, but you will be much happier

5. midorix macrumors member

You may want to start with the budget first as this thing can end up costing more than your car if you're not careful.

Also, are you planning to upgrade in phases or all at once?

My typical advice is start with phases, starting with the weakest link first.
    You should also determine what do you want in this system (give it time). Do you want ipod/satellite/navigation/dvd player, etc. etc.
    Listen to Rap with bigger thump or classical that requires tonal accuracy?

The problem with stock cars are the speakers and lack of power/amp.

If I were you I would upgrade in the order of speakers/amp-->subwoofer/amp-->headunit. Don't forget to budget for wires and connectors which also can add up.

There are quite a few honda discussion site like this that can be tips and tricks and some recommendations that would fit nicely with your honda and your budget (I drive Acura so I know).

Good luck.

6. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

Careful selecting amps and a subwoofer. Your battery and alternator will hate you if the amp draws more power than your alternator can put out.

I would personally select Diamond Audio subs, amp, and speakers. I am not sure how integrated the source unit is in the later model hondas, so if you are not able to replace it, you can use the Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 (really cool unit). Source units are strictly what you are used to though, so it is best if you play with them. I will admit that Pioneers AutoEQ and Time Alignment have won me over though. It really does help the front stage.

7. koachick macrumors newbie

Power!

Just as diamond.g pointed out, don't forget to consider the battery!

I also have a Honda Civic and got the whole enchilada stereo upgrade. I went w/ an Alpine unit for its iPod-friendly features but really--you HAVE to listen to the equipment in order to decide what YOUR ear likes and what features seem smart/useful. Some of the bells & whistles on some units weren't worth the extra money & some I'd never use/appreciate.

LOVE my stereo, it didn't take ridiculous $ to fill a Civic with excellent sound. All is good except I didn't leave room in my budget for the upgrade in my car battery for all of that power-draining equipment.

Rec'd by the installation guys to get an Optima Yellow-top--they said it was an excellent (albeit pricey) choice for dual amps for speakers and sub-woofer. As with anything, always check someone's "work" and recommendations.

But for your 2007 Civic, here's the info you can compare with:
    Optima Yellow Top; CCA: 450; OE Group Size: 51R; OE CCA Rating: 435

Hope this helps!