help adding WMA to itunes - I have added a bunch already but it stopped working

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by brvheart, Jun 30, 2008.

1. brvheart macrumors 6502

Hi everyone -

I thought that I might ask for some help here. I got my new Mac about 2 weeks ago, I am loving it so far, but here is the thing...I have added a bunch of music to itunes successfully, now I am trying to add some more that I had on my pc...I connected to the pc via smb://bla bla bla found the music that I wanted which is in wma format no different then most that I have added so far. I copied all the music to a folder on my desktop on the Mac, then tried to "File>Add to Library...

and nothing, so I then tried to drag and drop to the music folder and got nothing again....am I missing something here that I should have done or might someone give me some other ideas as to how to get it imported and what I am doing wrong all of a sudden?

and yes I did read this - http://guides.macrumors.com/Copying_Music_from_your_old_PC_to_new_Mac

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Adding WMAs to iTunes doesn't work on the Mac version, alas. The Windows version auto-converts them to AAC then adds them.

3. brvheart thread starter macrumors 6502

well, that would explain it....so how can I get them added to my new love MBP?

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Try http://www.easywma.com/ which is $10.

You could also try ffmpeg if you are proficient with the command line...

5. brvheart thread starter macrumors 6502

I am not good with command line yet....I will have a look at the easywma....with all the open source stuff there might be something that is free :)

6. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Converting from one lossy format to another will substantially lower the SQ and add more artifacts. It is best to re-rip from your CD's.

7. brvheart thread starter macrumors 6502

I wondered about that, but since I do not have all the CD's I am stuck converting....just trying to find a free tool....although $10 is not steep...

8. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

I can also recommend EasyWMA. Good program, and it's cheap.

MS often bitches about apple and itunes and ipod being "closed format" and not open to playing other standards, but WMA is one of the most hard to get around standards out there if you have an iPod and don't run windows. I really wish they'd quick the hypocrisy.

Kinda like they won't support Zune on Mac...WTF is that! (not that I care, but I feel bad for people who spent the money to get one and then got a mac)

9. brvheart thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah I hear ya there, I just went the long route - External HD, music, loaded on to a Windoze box, installed itunes, imported (still going btw) then will copy back to the external HD, then back in to itunes on the Mac....kind of a pain....but free, and since I have access to a gazillion MS machines....I figured why not.

10. HandleVandal Guest

HandleVandal

Not that you need it, but here's another vote for Easy WMA, if you ever get tired of converting manually or are pressed for time.

It's a sweet little app for $10. I'm surprised at how often I find myself using it (mostly for audiobooks).

11. brvheart thread starter macrumors 6502

I will grab that one soon esp since so many are recommending it :)

I do thank everyone for their willingness to help etc, I know that in the MS community most people just gripe and yell at newbs ;)