Help-advice needed on big O.S. problem

Discussion in 'iMac' started by dwighty pork, Apr 8, 2012.

1. dwighty pork macrumors newbie

Hi - am new on here and have a particular problem.
    I bought a 24" iMac on June 22nd 2009 - it came with Mac OS 10.5.6 which I believe is Leopard, running on Intel Core Duo.
    The following year Snow Leopard came OUT and being a bit naive at the time, I allowed myself to be persuaded by a friend I could save money by downloading a torrent version of the new O.S. which he did, copied to disk and was able to get it running...
    Now, on using Maintenance and double-checking with Onyx, I have problems with 'volume needs repairing - load from original install disk'.
    Can I do this from the original Leopard install disk which I have ?
    I am no longer in contact with this ex-friend and do not have the disk copy by which he put Snow Leopard on my machine - curse the day...
    Will my original Leopard disk work - or will I need to do something more radical ?
    I have recently bought a proper Apple Retail Snow Leopard 10.6.3 disk and wondered if I could use this to get my machine running normally ?

Any help and advice gratefully received !

2. simsaladimbamba

You can use both DVDs, but if you have the proper 10.6 DVD, why not use that?
    Btw, do you have a backup of your current HDD in the iMac?

3. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

You should be able to load snow leopard from your retail disk. Just pop it in, however make sure all of your files are backed up as there is the possibility that you may lose them. You also should be able to load right to SL without having to revert to leopard first.

4. dwighty pork thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok guys - and thanks for the swift responses !

Yes - I have all data backed up - so do you suggest I don't try booting from the original Leopard installation disk to solve the problems - and try the same volume repair from the new Retail disk ?
    Or - are you both saying I go for a clean install with the new Retail disk ?

5. simsaladimbamba

Yes, use the Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard DVD for repairing the volume, and yes, you can use the Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard DVD for a clean install.
    To create a Clean Install (formerly known as Erase & Install) of Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard (the 29 USD Upgrade DVD is a fully working retail version of Mac OS X and does not need a prior installation of Mac OS X on the Mac), follow one of the following guides:

6. dwighty pork thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks again - is it not worth first trying to repair the volume using the Snow Leopard Retail disk - or because of the unusual circumstances of the installation you are suggesting a whole new start and that clean install will be the best solution wiping the slate clean and starting from scratch ?

7. dwighty pork thread starter macrumors newbie

OK - I went ahead and did the clean install from the S.L.Retail disk - and it worked fine !
    Now - if I have any more 'volume needs repairing' messages I assume I boot from this disk's Disk Utility to repair ?
    Could I use this Retail disk on another iMac ?
    Thanks for the help !

8. simsaladimbamba

Yes, you can use that disk on any other Intel Mac to repair/verify disks/permissions.
    You can't use that DVD though to install Mac OS X onto 2010 and 2011 Macs, as the DVD does not have the drivers for those.

9. dwighty pork thread starter macrumors newbie

I was led to believe that the Retail disk would install S.L.10.6.3 - then you update it to 10.6.8 by the software downloads...wouldn't they include the drivers ?
    You're saying this would not work on 2010 and 2011 Macs - why not please ?

10. simsaladimbamba

Because 2010 Macs come with 10.6.4 and later, often even special builds of that version. As 10.6.3 does not include drivers for 2010 and 2011 hardware, it will refuse to install. That is the sad truth, but that is how Apple handles it. Anyway, as 2010 and 2011 Macs, except the ones in 2011 coming with Lion, have their own restore DVDs, the Retail DVD is not needed.