Help/Advice Needed - Stuck in Recovery Loop - Officially Dead?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by MrDLai, Feb 10, 2010.

1. MrDLai macrumors newbie

Hello everyone, I am Daniel and I am new to this forum.

I recently got an iPhone a month ago (3GS) with the new baseband and 3.1.2. I have a tethered jailbreak with blackra1n and it works fine until recently. Occassionally I have to restart and use blackra1n to boot because some installation requires it. Usually after I restart it with blackra1n I have to do it once more because of the wifi issue and it always work out fine on the second reboot with blackra1n after the "reset network" button. I have always been doing this on my iMac.

However, two days ago, my iPod app messed up and I have to restart the phone. The first time I reboot it with blackra1n it worked fine. However, as usual, the wifi is not working so I have to reset network and reboot the phone again. Now the problem comes, I tried the normal procedures of booting it with blackra1n and it stopped at the geohot screen. It doesn't boot anymore and after staying on that screen for some times it just goes back to the apple logo and "plug in to itunes" screen. Tried to blackra1n it many times but all end up to be the same. Note that I am doing it on a windows rather than the usual mac that I used to use blackra1n on (because i am on a business trip and only have a windows laptop with me now).

I researched online and it seems that other people have this recovery loop problem too. I have tried:

-iRecovery (nth show up after those setenv auto-boot, saveenv etc... commands)
    -blackra1n (to boot the phone)
    -redsn0w (both trying to rejailbreak it and the "boot tethered" function)
    -iREB (tried the fix recovery loop function doesnt work)

and nothing can help to kick it out from the loop.

I thought of trying to restore to stock 3.1.2 but it seems that I don't have the SHSH file on Cydia (was never aware of it before :(). I don't remember if I clicked "make my life easy" or not (I certainly didnt click "I hate jailbreak") but when I tried to verify through the cydia server from iTunes it didn't work out. (I can't check the Cydia app anymore becuase I am stuck in recovery loop).

It seems like the only option I have left now is:
    -wait till i go home and try the mac version of blackra1n again and hope miracle happens (which i doubt)
    -upgrade to 3.1.3 through itunes, but lose JB ability. I really do not want to do this but if there are no options I will have to because thats the only phone I have.

Summary:
    Right now I have a 3.1.2 tethered JBed 3GS stuck in recovery loop and can't get out.

Question:
    What can I do next? Is the only choice left for me to have a working phone is to upgrade to 3.1.3?

Thanks everyone for their help!

2. MrDLai thread starter macrumors newbie

3. firepol macrumors newbie

MrDLai, did you find a solution for your problem?

I'm in your same situation, but I didn't try to rejailbreak it with redsn0w. In fact that was my next question I wanted to ask in this forum:

is it safe to rejailbreak a tethered jailbreaked 3gs iphone with redsn0w?
    And if it's safe, will it work?

To all people that have no SHSH on Saurik server, for their 3.1.2 iphone... would it be a solution to use redsn0w and just jailbreak the already jailbroken iphone again, instead of restoring and then jailbreaking again with blackra1n?

4. ldobson macrumors regular

Unfortunately Daniel without having your SHSH blobs on file at Cydia, you are stuck trying to get your phone booted with the jailbreak tool of your choice, as you know theres no way of restoring 3.1.2 without your SHSH hashes, and iTunes is going to recommend you upgrade to 3.1.3. Theres a lot of people in this same situation. If you are unsure if you have your SHSH blobs on file at cydia you may try modifying your hosts file for gs.apple.com to the IP of the Cydia server and give it a go, at this point you have nothing to lose.

Good Luck!

5. Plibble macrumors newbie

I am stuck in this recovery loop... except the problem is I cannot restore to 3.1.3 because my 32GB 3GS Freezes in Restore Mode!... So My Phone is Perma-Dead Until I can Restore it Somehow :(

6. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

7. Cortezbanks macrumors 6502

8. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

It is a program that lets you see hidden files. You don't need it though.

When in finder click the go menu at the top. Then "go to folder" and type /usr/ and it gets you into the folder then you can browse to lib.

9. znc03 macrumors newbie

Why don't you restore to 3.1.3 and use sprint to JB it?

10. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

Why did you bump this 3 month old topic
    -___________________________________-

11. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Practicing his skills.

[​IMG]

12. znc03 macrumors newbie

Just wanna make sure it can be done. I have the same problem

13. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Well since Apple is no longer signing 3.1.3, without hashes saved for 3.1.3 you cannot restore to 3.1.3, thus it cannot be done.

Outdated scenarios yield outdated results ;)

14. znc03 macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help.. That's what I get for procrastination. Do you know if there is there anyway I can jb on 4.0 with new bootrom 3gs with the recovery loop problem . I had 3.1.2 installed.

15. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Perhaps if you can get it out of Recovery mode.