help advice please

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by marc29, Oct 3, 2009.

1. marc29 macrumors newbie

just a quick question. i hope this is the correct place to post it . i am thinking of buying a mac book from an ebay seller. he has good feed back and says the item is new. he also says that it comes with the 1 year apple care as the item is new. is there any thing i should look out for? ask him? does this one year care cover me for any problems with the mac. i have never bought a mac before but thought that this one was at a good price. please advise me on any futher questions i should ask or should i just stay away from an ebayer seller?
    thanks in advance

2. p3ncil macrumors regular

1 year of applecare?
    Tell him to give you the serial of the macbook so you can have a check. But then again, he could always borrow a friend's serial.

3. marc29 thread starter macrumors newbie

yes i was going to ask him that..... any other advice?

4. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

I'm sure the ebay seller is referring to the standard 1 year warranty which is indeed the same as the 2 year extended warranty known as AppleCare (except the 1st year is free of course).

To the OP: Anytime you're buying from a 3rd party you're at risk. Nobody knows anything more about this purchase than you do.

Ask him to supply a screenshot of, "About this mac" located right under the Apple icon on any menubar. Make sure it matches the specs he's provided.

Also, tell him to press the, "more info" and provide a screenshot of that also. (He can blur out his name in the upper left corner).

There are certainly legitimate mac sales occurring on ebay every day.

5. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

If you're looking for a cheap Mac, eBay would be the last place to check only because you can't see the product before you purchase it. There are legitimate sales on eBay but I feel it's more of a greater risk then Craiglist for example where you can actually get a feel of the computer before actually handing over money.

Like some have already suggested, try to get as much information as possible with screenshots. Once you have that it's up to you to decide whether or not you want to finalize the transaction.

6. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

There is no such thing as a good price for a highly popular and trendy item on eBay.

On any other for sale site, individuals work one on one with the seller to bring the price down.

On eBay, all the buyers compete with each other to drive the price up.

White Macbooks with broken screens will still go for $490 on eBay, and one with the same specs that WORKS will go for $485 on craigslist.