Help/advice: Taking my iMac 27" (yellow screen) to Apple store Mon 5/17

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mtbdudex, May 13, 2010.

1. mtbdudex macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

I stopped by local Apple store Tuesday 5/11, showed them my posts in the thread 27", 21.5" iMac Owners, test your screen for yellow tint issue here , http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=9850375&postcount=2467 and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dp1TNppH_iQ

The store guy in the blue shirt got his manager, she saw my screen shots and video and agreed "there appears to be some issue, schedule a Genius appt and bring your iMac in".

I have Genius reservation at Apple store Mon 5/17 in the afternoon.

So, for others who have done this for iMac 27" yellow screen issue what should I know:

-will they try and appease me to keep the computer?
    -will they easily offer new replacement?
    (mine is online apple store BTO with 2TB HD + 8GB RAM)
    -I don't want downtime, will they order me replacement and I keep my "bad one" until it arrives??
    -How about warranty, is is from date of new working and "good one" or original bought one?

What else?

I don't want to appear adversarial at this mtg, but want to have information readily at my disposal.

Thx for you experience and advice.

2. West La macrumors newbie

West La

Anything within the 14 day purchase date is returnable with no questions asked. Although it depends on the reason your returning it if they charge you the restocking fee. You don't get a refund until you return your old one. Why waste your time goin to the store? Basically you can just call them, request a replacement due to the defect, and they email you a return label. Make another purchase online…. Wait until you get the new one until you send the old back, that way you have no down time. You will have a double charge on you CC until they get the old one….

That’s what I did for one stuck pixel.

3. mtbdudex thread starter macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

My iMac was delivered 4/16/10, so past 14 day window.

I'll have to work withing the "defective product claim" area.
    From http://store.apple.com/us/help/returns_refund?mco=MTM3NDgyOTE

4. mtbdudex thread starter macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

More, the Warranty, its been a long time since I needed to use this for Apple product:

5. mtbdudex thread starter macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

5pm appt tonight @ Apple Store with a "Genius", we'll see what transpires.
    I'll post my experiences.
    (the 27" iMac packed back in its box is kinda heavy)

6. IndustrialSpace macrumors 6502a

I would demand a full refund as it is defective. Thye will accomdate this outside of 14 days as this has been a very visible issue. Let them know what you want.

FYI

Several posters have said that the "repair" is not the best solution as once they swap in a new screen, you can't ever return it for a brand new one. Many of the repalced screens have had worse yellow. So, make a decision as to whether you want them to open it up and replace with another potentially bad screen (and risk dust being trapped inside the screen) or get a brand new one, late model, from the factory. I think if you paid for an i7 2T 8G ($2600+), you should have a near perfect computer and not have "new" parts replaced.

7. mtbdudex thread starter macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

Thx for re-enforcing my mindset prior to my appointment.
    Simply, what I want is a very-very good screen quality iMac 27" 2TB 8GB, that is not what I got.
    Having a service tech open the "guts" instead of a factory clean room built iMac will not ensure other issues as you stated.

Best scenario:
    I'd like the Apple Store to order me a iMac 27" 2TB 8GB, have it delivered to their store, confirm it does NOT have the yellow screen issue, and I'll then swap mine (which will then have HD scrubbed by me) for the "good one".