Help after hard drive replacement

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ianduh, Sep 18, 2009.

1. ianduh macrumors newbie

Hey everyone hopefully someone here can give me some help towards this problem, ive been trying to fix it for a while.

I have a Macbook Model number: A1181 with Tiger 10.4 OS . I was messing around checking email and what not one day, left the computer for about 15 minutes came back and the computer was frozen, so i restarted and got the flashing folder with a question mark on it. The hard drive had obviously failed, you could hear it clicking with no problem. I ordered a new hard drive online to save myself some money, i got a 250gb seagate 2.5" drive. I've been working on pc's replacing hardware for years so replacing a hard drive isnt something that i find complicated at all. I installed the hard drive with no problem, turned the laptop back on and put in the original Install disc 1 and held down the C key at the chime. The optical drive will spin and it acts like its going to load but never does, sometimes the folder with the question mark will come back up, most of the time all i get is a blank white screen.

Yesterday i bit the bullet and took it in to the genius bar to just get the problem taken care of, the lady who helped me at the genius bar assured me the problem was that the hard drive had failed and i just needed to replace it. She hooked her her external hard drive to prove this to me, inserted a disc into the laptop and it worked like a charm. So i came home and tried everything i could possibly think of that i was doing wrong. I've formatted the new drive using HFS+ and i still cant get the computer to boot from the optical drive or even recognize the hard drive. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. chscag macrumors 68000

You need to narrow the problem down: Is your Tiger install DVD OK? Is the optical drive OK? If you can't boot the machine with your original Tiger DVD but the genius was able to boot with her DVD, that seems to indicate a problem with the disk and not the optical drive itself. The hard drive is probably OK (since it's new) but you're not going to get it installed properly without being able to boot and run Disk Utility and the install from the Tiger DVD.

BTW, you mentioned you formatted the new Seagate drive to HFS+. How did you do that? Anyway, it appears that your Tiger disk might be defective.

You can either buy a replacement Tiger DVD from Apple or it might be a good time to upgrade to either Leopard or even Snow Leopard.

Regards.

3. ianduh thread starter macrumors newbie

The macbook is the only mac we have in the house, so i stuck the tiger dvd into my pc desktop and it recognized it and i was able to access files on it so i dont think that the dvd is the problem. I also know that the optical drive is working fine, they told me that at the genius bar as well sorry i forgot to include that. As for the formatting, i hooked the hard drive up externally to my pc and formatted it using macdrive.

4. chscag macrumors 68000

I knew your optical drive was OK because the genius was able to boot from it. That's why I suspected the Tiger disk. Try this: Reset the PRAM, NVRAM. Read the following Apple KB article and follow instructions: Link

If that doesn't help, try another boot disk if you can borrow one. I still wonder if that Tiger DVD has a problem? I know you said you could read it on your PC but that doesn't necessarily mean it's able to boot your machine.

Regards.

5. ianduh thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried resetting the PRAM and NVRAM but that didnt help either, im going to try a different set of discs today to see if that is what the problem is. I'll post after i try and let you guys know the results.

6. ianduh thread starter macrumors newbie

i ended up taking it back to the genius bar, and the original lady who had helped me the first time must not have known what she was talking about, they replaced the hard drive and optical drive and now it works perfectly. Thanks for the help.