Help/Aidez Moi

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by sometrailsomewhere, Jan 10, 2016.

1. sometrailsomewhere macrumors newbie

Not a first time Mac user and have been drinking the kool-aid over several years now with Apple TV, iPad, iPhone, etc.

I just picked up a MacBook Air 128 GB SSD to replace a Pro and allow me expanded capabilities with my GoPro software as the 2011 version was not cutting it (it will go to a good home, don't worry) I went with the Air because I wanted SSD after a demo at the Apple store a couple of hours away. I also figured I didn't need retina display or the DVD drive (we have another Pro in the house, so I can use that if necessary)

Anyway, because I now also use iPad and iPhone, I do not need to have ubermegaloads of storage, or so I thought - but I picked up an external 1TB HD to accomplish transfers and to backup everything. Wifey chided me for wanting to pay someone 50 bucks to transfer all of my music and GoPro stuff from one to the other and now, a day into futile attempts to make this work, 50 bucks is looking cheap compared to my aggregate blood pressure.

Here's my beefs:
    -I check the size of the info I am copying and see 45 GB for my iTunes. No props, says I. When it copies from the external HD to the new machine, it says it's over 90GB. Eh?
    -it also says the size of my apps is at 24 GB. EH??? 2-4 GB??

Here's what I did, per instructions from Apple's support pages:
    -copy iTunes folder to HD
    -drag/drop that to new machine
    -consolidate
    -pull my fracking hair out thereafter

So then I cleaned up the extra folders that copy with iTunes, like movies, even though I never keep them on my machine and use cloud to grab when I wish. I pared it all down. I am stuck wondering how the hell to do this?

Honestly, when I went from PC to the Pro last time I was blown away at how utterly simple it was. This experience, thus far, has been forgettable at best.

I'd appreciate some help, or at the very least some virtual hugs.

2. sometrailsomewhere thread starter macrumors newbie

I think I have made some headway, but it's still scaring the life out of me thinking I bought a machine to improve my experience that may not be enough! Gak!

3. MarvinHC macrumors 6502a

Could it be that you didn't untick the copy files to itunes library option? In which case you would have all the files twice on your SSD and hence creating the space issue.