Help! Airport Express compatibility question.

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
From the looks of it, the home theater doesn't have a optical digital audio input, so you would have to connect it using analogue cables.

So, yes, it is compatible, but you wouldn't be getting the highest quality audio connection.

MacPossum

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 15, 2007
Would I really be able to notice a difference between the optical digital input verses the analogue input? One more thing, would it be better just to buy a single analogue cable or to go ahead and purchase the home-stereo kit from Apple?

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
The analogue cable means you will only get stereo sound, with the digital optical I believe you can get 5.1 surround sound.

You can use any audio cables, don't have to use apples.

Looking at newegg there were home theatre systems at the same price as that one that had optical audio inputs

I wasn't aware the Airport Express even had an optical digital output.:confused:
It's a dual minijack (like the ones on the MBP) does analogue and optical digital outputs from the same connector.

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA

MacPossum

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 15, 2007
No, that one doesn't have an optical digital input either (it has a coax digital input, which is different)
I'm guessing that a coax digital input won't give you the 5.1 surround either through airport. So is an optical digital input the only thing that's going to let me take advantage of the 5.1 surround? Would a coax digital input work with the airport express like the analogue would though?

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
I'm guessing that a coax digital input won't give you the 5.1 surround either through airport. So is an optical digital input the only thing that's going to let me take advantage of the 5.1 surround? Would a coax digital input work with the airport express like the analogue would though?
Coax digital does give 5.1 audio, the problem is, the airport express does not have a connector for coax digital, only for optical digital and analogue.