Help! Airport Express compatibility question.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MacPossum, Jul 15, 2007.

1. MacPossum macrumors 6502

MacPossum

I'm going to be moving into a new apartment in the fall for school and I'm trying to get my place set up with an Airport Express. I was wondering if this home theater system would be compatible for a wireless airtunes.

Here's the home theater system...
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882641012

Any insight is appreciated!

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

From the looks of it, the home theater doesn't have a optical digital audio input, so you would have to connect it using analogue cables.

So, yes, it is compatible, but you wouldn't be getting the highest quality audio connection.

3. MacPossum thread starter macrumors 6502

MacPossum

Would I really be able to notice a difference between the optical digital input verses the analogue input? One more thing, would it be better just to buy a single analogue cable or to go ahead and purchase the home-stereo kit from Apple?

4. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

I wasn't aware the Airport Express even had an optical digital output.:confused:

5. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

The analogue cable means you will only get stereo sound, with the digital optical I believe you can get 5.1 surround sound.

You can use any audio cables, don't have to use apples.

Looking at newegg there were home theatre systems at the same price as that one that had optical audio inputs

It's a dual minijack (like the ones on the MBP) does analogue and optical digital outputs from the same connector.

6. MacPossum thread starter macrumors 6502

MacPossum

7. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

8. MacPossum thread starter macrumors 6502

MacPossum

I'm guessing that a coax digital input won't give you the 5.1 surround either through airport. So is an optical digital input the only thing that's going to let me take advantage of the 5.1 surround? Would a coax digital input work with the airport express like the analogue would though?

9. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Coax digital does give 5.1 audio, the problem is, the airport express does not have a connector for coax digital, only for optical digital and analogue.

10. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw