Help - Airport Extreme + Lacie NAS + USB External HD

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by chathamsolution, Nov 11, 2011.

1. chathamsolution macrumors newbie

Hey.
    27" iMac running Lion

I just upgraded to an Airport Extreme from a crappy Linksys router. Holy Kaw! so much better.

Anyway, I've maxed out my Lacie 1TB NAS drive and have purchased a 3TB WD USB drive from Costco. The Airport Extreme supposedly supports USB drives and allows all on the network to access. That's what I was going for with the NAS drive, but frankly it is a pain. Kids MacMini would have problems seeing it, would have to sign in every time they rebooted the computer, etc. Thus moving to the Airport Extreme and a USB external HD.

So, here are my issues:
    1. Through Finder I can see my Lacie NAS drive that is plugged in through the ethernet connection to the Airport Extreme
    2. I have the 3TB WD USB drive plugged into the Airport Extreme also.
    - I can see it in the Airport Extreme utility - and Yes in the Utility I have checked: - Enable File Sharing and Share over WAN.
    See attached image.
    The Lacie shows up as 3 separate shared discs. I do not know why. It is only one.
    3. I CAN NOT see the Airport Extreme in Finder - looking around on the net, I believe I'm supposed to be able to see it.
    4. I CAN NOT see the 3TB WD USB drive in Finder.
    5. Due to not being able to see the 3TB USB drive, I can't move stuff from the Lacie to the 3TB drive.
    - I guess I can just plug the 3TB drive directly into the iMac and accomplish this, however, I want to eventually be able to access all the; music, video, documents, from the 3TB drive that will be plugged into the Airport Extreme - just as I do from the Lacie NAS now.

Please help.

Attached Files:

2. chathamsolution thread starter macrumors newbie

Just needed to format the 3TB WD drive. It fixed it all. Airport showed up and then the 3TB drive.