Help:Airport not showing padlock for my WIFI

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ROSSO Z, Mar 25, 2013.

1. ROSSO Z macrumors newbie

Is it supposed to show the padlock since I have WEP security?

Thanks

2. simsaladimbamba

Where should it show that padlock? In System Preferences > Network maybe?

What Mac OS X version do you use?

Can you make a screenshot and attach it to your next post?

3. ROSSO Z thread starter macrumors newbie

When you put the curser on the WIFI icon upper right, the pull down list shows all the networks it finds. They all have the padlock next to the network name, meaning they are protected by password. My network is at the top of the list, but no padlock shows. Should it.

4. simsaladimbamba

Since you are already connected to the network, the padlock is not shown.

Btw, why do you use the old WEP standard instead of the much more secure WPA2 standard?

5. ROSSO Z thread starter macrumors newbie

Never mind. No padlock shows because I am logged in to my WIFI network. When I changed networks, the padlock shows up on mine indicating that security is in place.

Thanks

6. simsaladimbamba

That is what I wrote already, but then again, why use the less secure WEP instead of the more secure WAP2?

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Mine does show the padlock even when connected on Mountain Lion (screen below). I am using WPA2. Could be different with you because of WEP?

If you can, you should change your router to WPA since it is much more secure.

[​IMG]

8. Richdmoore macrumors 65816

Richdmoore

Wep flaws

I found this blurb about how easy it's to defeat wep security. If possible, I would try to change it (as longs as your devices are compatible.)

Now it takes just three seconds to extract a 104-bit WEP key from intercepted data using a 1.7-GHz Pentium M processor. The necessary data can be captured in less than a minute, and the attack requires so much less computing power than previous attacks that it could even be performed in real time by someone walking through an office.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9015559/Don_t_use_WEP_for_Wi_Fi_security_researchers_say