HELP! - Alcoholic Drink spill!!! :-(

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by SportsME23, Dec 22, 2008.

1. SportsME23 macrumors newbie

I searched for other sad liquid spill stories but none of them involved a Red Bull and Vodka cocktail, so I thought I would ask for your much appreciated help.

I purchased a black macbook in July and bought the Applecare Protection Plan. On saturday, a friend (now former friend) spilled his cocktail all over my macbook. I quickly dried it, removed the battery, turned it upside down, and searched for people's tips. Now it is Monday and I am looking for the best strategy to save my beloved macbook or to get Apple to help me out.

The Applecare plan doesn't SPECIFICALLY list liquid damages, but it does not cover accidental damages (i'm assuming this falls under that). Can anyone confirm?

How long before I should put the battery in and power on? Is 2 days enough time?

Assuming its broken, is there any chance at all that the Geniuses won't detect liquid damages and my warrantee is not voided?

Is it possible to replace anything for less than the cost of buying a new macbook?

Please help me - this incident has really gotten me down, and I hope that Apple's excellent customer service reputation will hold true.

:(

2. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

That's definitely NOT covered by AppleCare. I'm not really sure how to help you out... sorry.

Make sure you keep your friend around long enough to pay for the damages!

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

No way AC will cover liquid damage. If your MB is toast, at least you can cancel AC and obtain a pro rated refund.

I'd leave the unit off for at least 5 days. Have you opened it up and tried to remove any liquid that may be in it?

4. natebookpro macrumors 6502a

Well from what it sounds like you did what you were supposed to do when it happened. I would find a warm dry place and let it sit there maybe 5 days total just to be on the safe side. You could disassemble the macbook ( www.ifixit.com ) and try to clean out any of the redbull thats left in there. But I would research what you should use to clean it. Other than that I think all you can do is cross your fingers, I feel like I heard a new logic board for that computer is around $800.

5. SportsME23 thread starter macrumors newbie

No, I thought that opening it would definitely void the warrantee. Is my warrantee already void? In other words, is there any reason for me not to open it up?

What did you mean earlier, I can get a pro-rated refund for AC?

6. timsutcliffe macrumors 6502

Insurance

Make sure you check what your insurance covers. Assuming you were at home, and that you have contents insurance, you may be able to get something that way.

Hope you manage to sort something out.

Tim.

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

At this point, you have nothing to lose by opening it up. I'd imagine Red Bull is quite corrosive.

If your laptop is dead, you can cancel your AC plan and get the money back for that. Small consolation.

8. jonjamesm macrumors regular

jonjamesm

I had a horrible liquid spill a while back - Goo Gone - worst time of my life!

Apple told me it would cost 800 UK pounds to fix the screen

I said naff to that and took it to a regular comp repair guy - he fixed it for 80 - then told me the super drive needed replaced - charged me 200 (thats including the new drive) extra.

I then had to take it back to him for some extra water removal from the screen, which he fixed free of charge.

so the moral of the story is - your problem is not an APPLE problem - its a confidence in taking a machine appart and cleaning it. - will be much cheaper than apple - I gurentee you. Do it quick though

Also - what about house/ contents insurance?

9. California macrumors 68040

California

Pour distilled water all through it and set it up to dry with the bottom case off.

Any sugars in the alcohol are what would "short" the logic board, not distilled water or pure water.

Let it dry for two days. Then fire it up. Bet it still works but get those crystallized sugars out.

I poured a plastic cleaner inside an iBook once. I did the water trick. It worked fine.

10. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

Hmmmm, I thought I read a thread just the other day about a wine spill on a MBP.

Anyhow, sugary beverages and electrical components are not friends.

Here is a link to the other discussion.

Good Luck!