Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crunch1226

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2009
During my last sync, all of my apps and their data got erased. It was a strange sync... first all of the new data and apps seemed to get uploaded to the mac fine and then, no sooner did that happen, then it went and erased everything!

If anyone is around to help me get my stuff back I would really appreciate it!

crunch1226

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2009
Thanks very much for the info. Matthew. I'm still a little hesitant to proceed here. It's unclear where the backup (pre-sync) copy of my ipod is. I looked through the link you posted and it said there should automatically be a copy in~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/ but there is no folder called "MobileSync" in my Application Support directory. I don't want to restore to factory settings without knowing that I can get my data and apps back. I also don't want to overwrite the only backup copy, wherever the heck it is (btw, I don't have Time Machine)

Thanks again for your help.

crunch1226

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2009
Well, I did the restore from backup without specifying a back up file or time, did a re-sync and both apps and data are back. So, all's well that ends well. I still need to find the time to understand why this happened (I have an idea, but not sure.)

One other thing, I found out along the way that if an app gets deleted, itunes keeps track of the fact that you purchased it and will let you download it again for free (you may not realize this until you try to re-purchase it.)

Thanks again for your help and Happy New Year!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.