Help: Always shutdown when booting

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by aero222, Mar 29, 2013.

1. aero222, Mar 29, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2013

aero222 macrumors newbie

Hi!

My Mackook 13", the model after 2008. just decided to stop working today...

Any time you boot the computer you can hear the chime (hardware test), grey screen appears, apple logo appears and then off...
    That happened for the first time when using it and the cursor stop responding to the trackpad so decided to shutdown and restart and since then always as soon as apple logo screen appears it will always shut down.

My troubleshooting consisted in:
    Reset SMC, SMC resets ok, but same problem
    PRAM Reset, but it doesn't re-start while pressing the keys so cannot hear the chime second time. And after that still no progress

First though on HD problems so try the following:
    Tried DiskWarrior DVD and shuts down at same apple logo screen
    Tried to load Mac Os from bootable USB to see if I can use the Disk Utility, after I select the USB on the initial grey screen, when holding option key, the grey screen with the logo appears and shuts down
    Tried Option key to start recovery partition and guess what? got same after selecting the partition logo appears and system shuts down
    Tried Verbose mode and after the whole test shuts down (you can see the screenshot just before it shuts down)
    Tried Comand (⌘)-S and the same once again
    Pulled out HD and tried as external HD to my computer and work just fine, tried DiskWarrior on it and everything is good, then put it again on the macbook and same shut down again.

Any clue?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Might be the Sata controller or the HD Cable.

I didn't download the screenshot, too big but from what I could see it recognises the HD but as soon as it start reading from it it stalls.

3. aero222 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, if that was the case, I should be able to start from the sane disk when I have put it on a external USB case, right?
    I tried and keeps on stalling...

4. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Your first post was a bit confusing, if nothing boots from it the HD is fried.

5. aero222 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey justperry, first of all thanks for answering.
    I think there is no problem with the HD as it works in other computer when I connect it through an external USB case.

6. justperry, Mar 29, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2013

justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Hmm, as I said before I had difficulties understanding your first post, so it does not work at all except when you try to boot it on another Mac, if you use that internal HD and put it in an external case it does not work from the affected Mac but it does on another.

Edit: If you have a USB HD or Stick lying around you could try to install OS X on it and boot from it.

7. aero222 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry if my first post was confusing, I will edit it...
    Already tried before posting... Doesn't matter what I do, it will always shut down after 4s the apple logo appears. Even tried with a bootable USB with the install of MAC OS X to try to use disk utility, but it will always shut down at the apple logo screen...
    I actually think there is nothing wrong with the HD...

8. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

No worries.
    It seems like something else is going on, worst case is the Logic board, or if there is a PRAM battery you might try a new PRAM battery.

I have to look up if there is one on that Macbook.

Edit: Model Identifier please, if you give that I will try to find out if it has one.

9. aero222 thread starter macrumors newbie

Model number: A1181

Hi,

Model number: A1181

White, bought in 2008, not really sure about the processor, but 2GB ram and 160GB...

10. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

11. aero222 thread starter macrumors newbie

12. justperry, Mar 30, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2013

justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Yes this could be a problem.

I will research a bit more, I'll report back soon.

Replacement.

Update 1: How To Fix Common Mac Startup Problems

13. aero222 thread starter macrumors newbie

Made some improvements after reading some of the articles.

Fully recharged the battery and computer started normally but after 1 minute running it stalls.

Then when reseting the pram it will start normally, run for few minutes and stall again... I am already trying to get a new pram battery!

Cheers