Help! Am I killing my computer with hard reboots?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Psychomoi, Oct 17, 2009.

1. Psychomoi macrumors newbie

I own a 3 year old macbook pro which had been working perfectly fine up until recently, and unfortunately there is no mac support anywhere close to me so I'm sort of freaking out about my computer maybe dying.

A couple weeks ago it started randomly freezing and not allowing me to do anything at all except but hard reboot it when it did, I was able to move my cursor around but the computer was completely unresponsive. I didnt really think much of it since it would happen when i was running certain applications like flash or some games, until it started doing it at random and more often, even when i wasnt even using any of those applications. Could this be due to the whole hard rebooting thing?

Ive also had my screen just randomly go black and not respond unless i hard rebooted, and once or twice had it just freeze and then start fading into a light blue screen. What does this mean??

I was looking at some forums that basically said that macs dont crash unless its related to memory space, bad hardware or permits, so why is my mac crashing so much? I switched my store 512 ram for 2gb ram but that was almost a year ago and i never had any issues until now, I also updated all my software, ran disk utilities and repaired any unbroken permits, and freed as much as i could of my hard drive, so I dont know whats going on, if anyone could help me out I would really appreciate it.

Someone said to me it might be about the computers temperature just getting way to high, and I have felt it get really hot but what I dont know is how hot is too hot? I downloaded the istat nano widget to check out the temperatures my computer is running at but to be honest I have no idea what any of these mean, and I tried searching around for standard macbook pro temperatures but haven't really found anything too helpful on the internet. Does anyone know what kind of temperatures macbook pros should be running at? I would really appreciate it.

According to istat nano these are the temperatures my computer is running at when using applications such as flash:

Hd: 42c
    Cpu A: 68c
    Gpu: 60c
    Gpu Heatsink: 65c
    Heatsink A: 45c
    Heatsink B: 44c

My fans were also running at around 4000 rpm... Are these numbers normal??

Anyway, if you guys could recommend anything that might help me out without having to take the long trip to be able to find a mac support store I would really appreciate it. Another thing is that it doesnt always crash, sometimes it can go for a couple of days not crashing at all and then one day just crash over and over and over again. Im scared that those constant hard reboots may be killing my computer so please help me! Any comments or advice are greatly appreciated.

2. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

Those temps are not at all alarming - fairly normal if not on the cool side. Your fans at 4000 may be running a bit fast and that keeps the temps lower.

As to what is causing your problems - tell us more as to your computers specs. What video card are you running?

3. Psychomoi thread starter macrumors newbie

These are my computer's specs:

Model Name: MacBook Pro 15"
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro1,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core Duo
    Processor Speed: 2 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache (per processor): 2 MB
    Memory: 2 GB
    Bus Speed: 667 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: MBP11.0055.B08
    SMC Version: 1.2f10
    Sudden Motion Sensor:
    State: Enabled

And my video card is a ATI Radeon X1600

4. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

You have a solid performing video card - have you run the hardware test yet?

Some suggest a complete reload of the OS - you never know...

Beyond that, a trip to he Apple Store may be in order. However, the age of your computer vs repair costs may lead you to a new purchase......

5. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

Looks like the temps are fine.
    graphics card shouldnt be an issue...

might be the fans are sending inaccurate readings either causing them to spin faster than should be and causing random shut downs; would be one of my main guesses.

hm, have you tried the Apple Hardware Tests?

Otherwise on top of that you can do an SMC and PRAM reset

SMC: Power down, remove battery, press & hold the Power Button for about 5seconds, place battery back in, power up

PRAM: Restart Machine, press and hold COMMAND OPTION P R all at once during the start up chime...computer will restart itself, release keys.

Using disk utility, did you do a Verify Disk, to make sure your hard drive isnt corrupted or damaged in anyway?

if anything a last resort you could try is to do a clone using SuperDuper and do a clean installation, and then migrate your items back over.

hope that was useful.

6. Psychomoi thread starter macrumors newbie

ok i will try these things and see if that helps any, thanks a lot for your responses :)

7. Psychomoi thread starter macrumors newbie

so i ran disk utility verify disk and i got this error

"The volume Macintosh HD needs to be repaired.

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit

1 HFS volume checked
    Volume needs repair"

I cant use the repair disk tool because its not finishing up so it wont even light up, anyone know how to fix this??

8. vimkgt macrumors newbie

If you upgraded to 2gb of memory, I'm assuming its 2x1gb sticks right? Maybe try removing one and seeing if it works normally. If it still crashes, swap it with the other one. I had freezing issues on mine that sound very similar to yours that I narrowed down to a piece of bad memory.

9. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

It sounds like you have a failing hard drive. Repairing the volume will likely be a temporary fix, if it even succeeds in the first place. If you have AppleCare left, take it in. Otherwise, start getting quotes on having it repaired, or read up on doing it yourself. (It's a little tricky on the older non-unibody MBPs, but it definitely can be done. You will need a 2.5" SATA drive, no more than 9.5mm high)

10. Psychomoi thread starter macrumors newbie

oh lame :( alright well thanks a lot for your help