HELP! Am I the only one having problems with Flash and the NEW i7 MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jkirker, Mar 9, 2011.

1. jkirker macrumors newbie

HELP - I am going out of my freaking mind...

Is anyone else is having video lock when displaying Adobe Flash objects on the new i7 MacBook Pro?

It's happening to me constantly. Apple Support suggested that I run Flash apps in Safari in 32-bit mode and that's still not doing it.

It's driving me nuts. I've lost hundreds of dollars in development work as a result and I'm about ready to get up on my roof and chuck the thing off.

Anyone? Or do I just have a defective unit?

Thanks,
    John :confused:

2. AFPoster macrumors 65816

John,

Flash is horrible, thus the reason Jobs doesn't support it, nor does Apple even have it preinstalled on there Mac's anymore. From what I am hearing it seems like a defective unit. I'd take it to an Apple store and have them look at it, if they can't fix it make sure when they give you another unit they make sure it Flash works first before going home.

P.S. don't throw the mac off the roof...or yourself!

3. jkirker thread starter macrumors newbie

It's either me or this machine! One has got to go...

I called Apple Support yesterday and they acknowledged an issue, however Adobe denied it.

If Flash weren't used on 80+% of all websites currently, I'd be OK with this, but I'm randomly locking even displaying Flash ads in an iframe at times. It's crazy.

I'll call Apple right now to see about ordering an advanced replacement.

John

4. jkirker thread starter macrumors newbie

Got on with a senior tech yesterday and we started digging into the logs. It appears that we got the issue resolved.

There was a file in the /SourceCache being accessed by Flash that was chunking things up. Codec file of some sort that I must have picked up with an encoding package along the way.

I did a reinstall with a current developer DVD last weekend and that didn't work. But last night did a reinstall with the 10.6.6 DVD that came with the system and then did the updates and viola. Heaven.

Go figure. Just wanted to close the book on this. Now and again SUPER HAPPY with the new smoking fast MBP!

Thanks for the reply's.

John

5. jeff_siler macrumors 6502

Try downloading clicktoflash...

6. endless17 macrumors member

there's some issue going on, but it's hard to say without knowing what other software or browser plugins are installed on your system.

was the system clean, or did you migrate your data from a previous laptop? try uninstalling and reinstalling flash to see if that fixes the issue, or perhaps see if it's repeatable in other browsers.

7. AppleMacFinder macrumors 6502a

AppleMacFinder

Uninstall Flash, and get Youtube5.
    It is Flash2HTML5 plugin, works great and consumes little power.

8. eaf7s macrumors regular

No. In fact, you'd be hard pressed to find anyone with a computer & the interwebs that DOESN'T have a problem with Flash. Because it is a piece.

9. mark28 macrumors 68000

I don't have problems with Flash. Works perfectly, also HD full screen video's.

10. eaf7s macrumors regular

Not direct problems i.e. crashing. But unnecessary CPU & battery chomping.

11. endless17 macrumors member

i don't have that either, but i also use an adblocker that limits my flash use mostly to videos i want to see.

12. jkirker thread starter macrumors newbie

13. -C- macrumors member

I don't know if I'd let Flash off the hook so fast, Flash does suck...bad.

I had a problem with the latest flash crashing Chrome all the time and pages not responding. After searching for a solution it was recommended to go to a flash video, right click the video, go to "settings", and uncheck "enable hardware acceleration". Chrome hasn't crashed since I did that but I noticed that flash videos that aren't embedded are a little choppy at the beginning, but bearable. Aside from that everything is usable where it wasn't before. Maybe check those settings and see if that does anything for you.