Help and Advice

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Mickyo, Nov 23, 2015.

1. Mickyo macrumors newbie

Hi everybody, I hope that some of you can possibly advise me as to the best way to to copy apps and files from an early 2008 mac to a new 27 inch iMac with Retina 5k display.

I changed the HD on the old iMac a couple of years ago when it when it started to fail so all that is on it is fairly recent.(2 years worth)
    My old TM is a 1TB firewire Free Agent HD which is full and I don't really want most of the programme/files on it anyway........so my question is this. If I hook up the new 3TB apple TM I have also purchased the up to the old mac will it load all of my programmes/files onto it so that I can transfer this via TM onto the new iMac or will I have to use Migration setup or assistant.

Thanks in anticipation

Mick

2. G.McGilli macrumors regular

3. Mickyo thread starter macrumors newbie

4. daniel1948 macrumors 6502

daniel1948

Your new iMac will come with a month or two of free telephone support, and in my experience the Apple phone techs are excellent. If you don't get an adequate reply here, go to the support page of the Apple web site and set up a support phone call. It won't cost you anything, and you'll get help from folks who know what they're talking about.

(I have some ideas on file migration, but I'd be talking through my ...hat :) and my suggestions probably wouldn't be helpful. Other than to say, back up the old Mac before you disconnect it.)

5. Mickyo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions Daniel1948, it's something to keep in mind in case I don't get the answers i'm looking for. The new iMac isn't due for another 3 or 4 days so plenty of time to check out all the options:)

6. daniel1948 macrumors 6502

daniel1948

You're very welcome, Mickyo. My new iMac will be arriving around the same time as yours, and I'll probably be phoning them with the same question, along with others.

7. Mickyo thread starter macrumors newbie

Just been notified that the New iMac is arriving 26th. any advice re file/apps transfer would really be appreciated:)