Help and Advise needed on Iphone 3G back cover replacement

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by steelz, Aug 25, 2010.

1. steelz macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone,

Well, its like this, i owned an Iphone 3G which have really some serious cracks issues near the dock connector, so i've decided to go ahead and order a rear cover replacement from www.sw-box.com to attempt to replace the back-cover.

All went well with the transfer to the new back-cover until i realised that the rear cover replacmenet i got from sw-box.com didnt had the screw thread to screw in the sim card plastic spring !!! This means that i will not be able to eject my sim-card when the assembly is complete because there are no way which i would be able to screw the plastic spring in.

I did a little research and found out on ifixit that

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/Installing-iPhone-3GS-Rear-Panel/1551/8

(Step 23) some rear cover does not have a threaded screw hole in that location. If you look at the diagram on that step 23, the circled red location is the place where i would need to screw in the plastic spring. However on my replacement rear-cover the screw thread isnt there !

I am now faced with having 2 solution. One, would be to find a way to screw a hole in that location, but i dun have the slightest clue on how to do that.

Two, would be to order a new replacement back-cover, but i am skeptical about it because i don't know where i can get a replacement back-cover with that screw thread.

So i'm here asking for advise and help on this. Have anyone met with this problem before? And if so, how did u reticify it ?

Also, does anyone know where i can get the rear cover replacement with the threaded screw hole ? i'm skeptical of just buying online now least it gets delivered to me with no screw hole again.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks All in advance !

2. ChrisSk macrumors newbie

Same problem

Did you get an answer to this as I have the same issue!

3. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

the problem is you dont have an OEM back you bought an aftermarket one. your going to have more problems when you put it together because it wont like up correctly and it will leave gaps between the bezel and the back. to get the screw to work you need to heat the screw and then screw it in where it goes. be careful you only have one shot at it. or return it! because they are lying to you if they say it is OEM. try some of the more reputable companies on the net to get the part you need.