Help Antivirus

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cfrf, Oct 15, 2015.

1. cfrf, Oct 15, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2015

cfrf macrumors newbie

Wanted to help the next, I have two antivirus on my mac it: Sophos Antivirus 9.4.0; Webroot SecureAnyhere and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
    Is is okay to have both, which is best?
    Another issue, once my cursor disappeared, could only see again when dragged to the upper bar will be normal?

Thank you.

2. hiddenmarkov, Oct 15, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2015

hiddenmarkov macrumors 6502a

Generally best practice to have just 1 AV solution. They tend to not mix well. As they can read each others actions and presence as being possibly viral.

Also you get admin overhead issues of having to make exceptions for 2 systems when files are known good but flagged by their searching. Or an application just runs better having its files not in the scanning list (SQL and Exchange a common exception windows side as if in scope performance can take a hit).

As to which is best, that can be a personal choice. Not sure if you miss posted here (its the developers section) but your best choice would be the one that is flexible and user friendly to your tastes with exceptions. As I have found with AV/AS solutions they will quickly flag quite a few developer tools (memory readers, debug tools, etc). They use methods common to what viral/malware stuff would do as well.

Not sure why you have a cursor issue.

edit: oops realized this was moved after posting (morning coffee not hitting yet lol). Still valid though. You want exception flexibility to not have the same good files tripping false positives. You can get lag time for developers to get these in their "good" list they send in definition updates to stop false positives.

3. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

Unless you're accessing the dark web, looking at naughty or questionable sites, or don't practice "safe computing", you don't really need an AV for OS X. They tend to do more harm than good (slow down the OS, goof up other software).

4. cfrf thread starter macrumors newbie

However, now I bought licenses, do not know what I should uninstall ...
    Thanks.

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

Sophos is known to make your Mac less secure - get rid of it.

6. cfrf thread starter macrumors newbie

already eliminated the Sophos. :)

7. dmdev macrumors member

Hey, can you point me to a reference? I couldn't find anything. Would like to see it before I install.

8. Tech198 macrumors G4

No need a/v for mac.... there is no proof ..

U do know the license u bought u could saved saved yourself the trouble..... Has the software actually done any good ?

9. old-wiz macrumors G3

Search the forum for "sophos"