Help - Anyone have an OS for Mac Plus?

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by sigamy, Oct 17, 2011.

1. sigamy macrumors 65816

I just acquired a Macintosh Plus 1MB. I need a version of the System software, MacPaint, MacWrite, etc.

Does anyone have a spare floppy around? Or the ability to create floppies? I have no floppy drives at home or work. None.

I can send you a few bucks via paypal.

ps--Also looking for keyboard and mouse.

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

3. sigamy thread starter macrumors 65816

You want to talk about class? Nice avatar. :rolleyes:

Back on topic...I know of the link. I'm having trouble finding a floppy drive within the tri-state area.

4. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Um... That won't help at all.

The Mac Plus (and all Macs from the original through the early SE and II systems,) use a floppy drive that is *NOT AT ALL* compatible with standard PC floppy drives. It uses the same "DSDD" 1 MB floppy disk, but the hardware is such that it reads and writes completely differently than a PC floppy drive. That is among the reasons Mac DSDD disks format as 800KB versus PC's 720KB. (Or 400KB vs. 360KB for SSDD, like in the original Macintosh through the 512.)

To write a non-HD Macintosh floppy, you need a Macintosh with a built-in floppy drive. (Anything up to and including the beige Power Macintosh G3.)

5. mark_wilkins macrumors member

Now that you mention it, it's all coming back to me. Sorry, it's been a VERY long time.

6. David Schmidt macrumors 6502

David Schmidt