Help anyone! My iphone 3gs is dying on me..

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Mattb25, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Mattb25 macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

I've had my Iphone 3gs (not jail broken) for a little under a year now and I absolutely love it, however, I have had so many problems with it that I am ready to chunk it at the wall. Over the past few months, every so often my phone just dies on me for some reason and refuses to come back on for like a day or two. This has happened to me around 3-4 times, but has always came back on, now though it seems to be much worse and is refusing to actually stay up when I manage to get it back on.

Yesterday, I was texting someone and when I tried to bring up the screen to see if I had any texts I realized that the phone was shut off. I tried to turn it back on, to no success, which I then plugged it into the wall to see if it would charge. It brought up the charging screen but showed that it was at red battery but while I was using the phone, it was at around 76%. I decided to let it charge for a few minutes and then it came back on, but after a few minutes it shut off again. I let it charge again but it did not come back on after letting it charge for a few hours, so I looked online and found a few steps to do, such as hard reset and some other things. It did come back on after I did some step that required plugging it into the computer and restarting the computer, but of course it died again.

It has been doing this same process over and over the past few days, where it basically will come on for a bit and then shut down for hours upon hours, sometimes days. I proceeded to open the phone up after it kept doing the same thing, just to make sure the ribbon wires were fine, but everything seems to be fine and plugged in correctly. I am at a dead end right now and have no idea what can be done. Does ANYONE know something that might cause this or had this happen to them? Could I possibly try to get it replaced by Apple? Any help will be fully appreciated because I have spent the last week trying to fix it. Thanks!

P.S. I forgot to mention that the phone has never been able to completely sync up to the computers for some reason. It never would transfer apps over, even though I tried to manually transfer them through iTunes. This was just another problem I have had with the phone, because I never was able to upgrade the OS without losing all my paid apps.

2. Mattb25 thread starter macrumors newbie

Anyone have any ideas? Should I just try and make an appointment with the apple store or something?

3. millertime021 macrumors 6502a

millertime021

Under a year? Go make an appointment at an Apple Store.

Sounds like you shoulda done this earlier ;)

4. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Sounds like something's wrong with the battery. We will never know for sure though, not on these forums. Just take it in to the Apple store-- they will take care of you.

5. Mattb25 thread starter macrumors newbie

alright guys thanks for the info ill give them a call.

6. benji888 macrumors 65816

benji888

don't bother calling them, they will not help you after 90 days unless you have AppleCare...you will get 10X better results if you just take it to the nearest AppleStore Genius Bar (best to make an appointment online). I have had the BEST customer service at Apple's Genius Bar, but I've not heard of people having good results with calling them.

Just take it to the Genius Bar!