Help - Aperture 2 doesn't work

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nealeholl, Nov 27, 2009.

1. nealeholl macrumors member

I've just bought Aperture 2, and during installation blithely told it to import all my 10,000 or so iphoto images.

After several hours I'm just looking at it in browser view with 10,000 grey rectangles, and a little "thumbnails" flash appearing every few seconds on the bottom bar of the browser.

Am i doing something wrong?

24" imac 3.06 with 4GB RAM

2. PorthcawlMorgan macrumors newbie

Hi
    Same here. I've tried importing from iPhoto and importing from a Handy Drive and all I get is the main image (but only if I click on the grey box that appears). As far as thumbnails, there are none, they just remain grey, but will update the main image if I click on them. Totally frustrating for a piece of professional software that should run 'out of the box'. (27" Quad Core iMac).

3. kboehrer macrumors newbie

hi, i am having the exact same problem. all i get when i import photos is the grey rectangles for thumbnails and a low res image in the viewer (with 'loading' perpetually above it). at first i also tried to import the whole iphoto library, then scaled it back to one event, an eventually just one photo, thinking that my library was too big. It still does not work. When I show activity, it appears that aperture is processing the thumbnails and previews over and over again. Obviously something is very wrong. let me know if you find the answer.

4. jjhhee macrumors newbie

me too

got my first mac for xmas along with aperture. i'm having the same problem that you describe. did you ever fix? if so, how....my new mac should have enough horsepower to support the software. thx:(

5. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

I'm having the same issue except I've been using Aperture 2 for quite some time and I did my last successful import the last week of Nov. Now I'm trying to import the holiday photos from my Canon xTi (raw files) and they aren't showing up.

Even the files that were previously imported just fine are saying "unsupported file format."

I have no idea what's wrong. Anyone figure it out?

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Is is possible that the camera you're using isn't supported for RAW file format? I'm not sure based on your post if you're using a new camera now, or switched over to RAW but maybe its an unsupported camera.

7. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

No, not using a new camera or a new computer. It's all the same equipment I've been using. Canon xTi, RAW files format on 15" MBP running Snow Leopard.

I did more digging and found this thread on the Apple Support forums. Seems to be a bug of some sort with the latest OS update.