Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
I had a heck of a time upgrading/restoring my 4S. It took about four attempts before I finally got a successful jailbreak. The phone seems to be working okay but my gut tells me something is "off".

When I have an incoming call I no longer see the picture of the person calling, but that may have been a JB tweak that I'm forgetting.

Another oddity, I had an issue with iTunes syncing my apps. It was on step 7 and it said "waiting for (something) to finish", don't remember exactly what. After waiting for about an hour I stopped the process by clicking the little "X" in the top iTunes info screen. That left all of my apps on my iPhone unfinished. I tapped one of the apps to see if it would possibly start downloading and a popup with a very odd email address steve@rim.jobs popped up asking for a password.

I cancelled out and decided to restore again. This time I restored from iCloud. All my apps except two installed fine but with the two that didn't install I get that same email address asking for a password.

Now, I also noticed that when I download an app, either paid or free, from the app store it doesn't ask for my password. I have verified this five times. Each time I waited 15 minutes to half hour but no matter it doesn't ask for my password.

I checked in my account in iTunes and the purchases are there so it's not like I'm getting anything for free. But I'm very concerned about this and not sure what to do. My iPad BTW is working normally (Also updated and JB'd).

Any thoughts??

Last edited:

NanoNyrd

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2011
If something is badly corrupted in your backup, perhaps from a previous jailbreak tweak, the corruption may be restored. In cases like this, the safest (but also somewhat annoying) solution is to wipe the iDevice by restoring the OS as a new phone, then jailbreak, then syncing (not restoring from backup). One side-effect is that all your text messages are gone :-( There are jailbreak packages that can save them and then you later do a selective restore, PkgBackup is one.

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
If something is badly corrupted in your backup, perhaps from a previous jailbreak tweak, the corruption may be restored. In cases like this, the safest (but also somewhat annoying) solution is to wipe the iDevice by restoring the OS as a new phone, then jailbreak, then syncing (not restoring from backup). One side-effect is that all your text messages are gone :-( There are jailbreak packages that can save them and then you later do a selective restore, PkgBackup is one.

Thanks, I bought PKGBackup just before I upgraded to 5.1.1 and that's how I did my original restore which didn't work at all. Just a lot of problems and I had to restore.

But right now I'm a lot more concerned that the app store doesn't ask for a password when downloading an app. I can download either a paid app or free without the password. I verified this a number of times. Waited two hours, rebooted the phone but it still downloads with out the password.

I'll probably try restoring tomorrow but I would love to figure out why this is happening.

Netherscourge

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2011
Settings -> General -> Restrictions -> Require Password (for purchases)

This allows you two options in 5.1.1 - A.) "Immediately" B.) "Every 15 minutes"

Maybe toggle it between 15 minutes and Immediately a couple times?

It might just be a glitch. If it is, switching the toggle around and then setting it to "Immediately" before exiting out should hopefully fix it for you.

(Just a suggestion)

Even if it's already set to "Immediately", switch it to "15 minutes" and then back again to "Immediately."

That should prompt for your password every time you go to download or update an app.

If it's set to 15 minutes, it will only prompt you once every 15 minutes of non-app installation activity.

(Meaning, if you install or upgrade an app and then 14 minutes later install/upgrade another app, the timer will reset for another 15 minutes before it asks you for your password. It won't ask you for your password unless you go more than 15 minutes without doing any app-related purchasing/downloading/updating stuff.)

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
Every time I use AppBackup to save app data and game saves, restore as new, sync contacts, jailbreak, install all my app store apps, then use AppBackup to restore all the app data and game saves. Very simple and I don't lose any data.

justinwebb

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2009
You have used installous before an downloaded a cracked app. It can't find the metadata for it so it reverts to that.

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
Settings -> General -> Restrictions -> Require Password (for purchases)

This allows you two options in 5.1.1 - A.) "Immediately" B.) "Every 15 minutes"

Maybe toggle it between 15 minutes and Immediately a couple times?

It might just be a glitch. If it is, switching the toggle around and then setting it to "Immediately" before exiting out should hopefully fix it for you.

(Just a suggestion)

Even if it's already set to "Immediately", switch it to "15 minutes" and then back again to "Immediately."

That should prompt for your password every time you go to download or update an app.

If it's set to 15 minutes, it will only prompt you once every 15 minutes of non-app installation activity.

(Meaning, if you install or upgrade an app and then 14 minutes later install/upgrade another app, the timer will reset for another 15 minutes before it asks you for your password. It won't ask you for your password unless you go more than 15 minutes without doing any app-related purchasing/downloading/updating stuff.)

I've tried everything you mentioned above. Still not asking for password. But I also found that if I try using a passlcok code that doesn't work either.
You have used installous before an downloaded a cracked app. It can't find the metadata for it so it reverts to that.
I hope you're not referring to me. First I don't have Installous installed. Second, the apps I'm having trouble with are both free. aNote Lite and Weatherbug. Please don't make assumptions like these just because there are many pirates in the forums.

So now that we're straight on that, I think it's a major concern that there was an odd email address in the popup window. If you think about it the email address is something a hacker would do as a joke.

I've deleted the email address and entered mine along with my password and the apps seemed install properly however, on the next reboot or respring they would both look like they didn't finish installing. In other words they had that black progress bar at the bottom and were semi-transparent. I had to delete them them 3 times to finally get rid of them. The first two times they reappeared in that partially installed state I described above.

I've jailbroken probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 iPhones/iPads and have never had these many problems or problems of this kind. I believe this jailbreak is buggy and if you happen to be lucky you'll be fine but for some, with the proper circumstances I believe it's going to be a problem. This forum is peppered with quite a few posts of people having problems with this jailbreak.

As I said in a different thread, I'm going to restore it and leave it as is. I enjoyed my JB'd iPhone but for now I don't trust this jailbreak.

ZCherub

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2010
GA, USA
I had a heck of a time upgrading/restoring my 4S. It took about four attempts before I finally got a successful jailbreak. The phone seems to be working okay but my gut tells me something is "off".

When I have an incoming call I no longer see the picture of the person calling, but that may have been a JB tweak that I'm forgetting.

Another oddity, I had an issue with iTunes syncing my apps. It was on step 7 and it said "waiting for (something) to finish", don't remember exactly what. After waiting for about an hour I stopped the process by clicking the little "X" in the top iTunes info screen. That left all of my apps on my iPhone unfinished. I tapped one of the apps to see if it would possibly start downloading and a popup with a very odd email address steve@rim.jobs popped up asking for a password.

I cancelled out and decided to restore again. This time I restored from iCloud. All my apps except two installed fine but with the two that didn't install I get that same email address asking for a password.

Now, I also noticed that when I download an app, either paid or free, from the app store it doesn't ask for my password. I have verified this five times. Each time I waited 15 minutes to half hour but no matter it doesn't ask for my password.

I checked in my account in iTunes and the purchases are there so it's not like I'm getting anything for free. But I'm very concerned about this and not sure what to do. My iPad BTW is working normally (Also updated and JB'd).

Any thoughts??

Not that this is your main issue, but "Steve@rim.jobs" sounds like it's from the careers section of Rim (the company that makes Blackberrys). http://www.Rim.jobs was also featured on Tosh.0 as the "unfortunate domain name of the week", lol...

NanoNyrd

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2011
Thanks, I bought PKGBackup just before I upgraded to 5.1.1 and that's how I did my original restore which didn't work at all. Just a lot of problems and I had to restore.

But right now I'm a lot more concerned that the app store doesn't ask for a password when downloading an app. I can download either a paid app or free without the password. I verified this a number of times. Waited two hours, rebooted the phone but it still downloads with out the password.

I'll probably try restoring tomorrow but I would love to figure out why this is happening.

Yes, restoring everything to a new version of iOS is risky. What I meant is that you can setup a new phone, sync your apps, install Cydia packages one by one, and install PkgBackup and use it to restore only your SMSes (or any other thing that was lost in the process, provided it was backed up by PkgBackup).

I would be worried about the lack of password and the strange email, too. That is why I suggested wiping the phone and setting it us a new one. But that is of course only because I do not understand the root cause of the weird problem - and it is very weird, in my opinion. :)

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
Yes, restoring everything to a new version of iOS is risky. What I meant is that you can setup a new phone, sync your apps, install Cydia packages one by one, and install PkgBackup and use it to restore only your SMSes (or any other thing that was lost in the process, provided it was backed up by PkgBackup).

I would be worried about the lack of password and the strange email, too. That is why I suggested wiping the phone and setting it us a new one. But that is of course only because I do not understand the root cause of the weird problem - and it is very weird, in my opinion. :)
Yes I agree this is a very weird thing I have going on. I've read in other threads over the past few months where a user got a replacement iPhone and the previous owners email would still popup in the ID popups. But my iPhone is brand new and never owned by anyone else.

In the past I would always restore from a backup on my MBP but this is the first time I ever restored from iCloud. Is it possible that by iCloud backups have been compromised somehow? I have no idea. But I'm going to restore again and I'm going to restore from iCloud again but I'm not going to jailbreak.

If everything turns out okay and I have no issues then I'll have to assume it's the jailbreak. If on the other hand problems persist then it's most likely iCloud and if it is I'll get in touch with Apple to see if they can investigate the issue.

I also just remembered that about two months ago out of the blue my account was locked and I had to change my password. I had checked everywhere I could (App purchases, music/movies, emails sent, texts etc...) but found nothing out of the ordinary. So is it possible that Apple knows that my iCloud account was somehow compromised? I suppose it is possible. They never gave me any hint as to why my account got locked, just that I had to change my password.

If life doesn't get in the way I'll report back with what happens. Peace ;)

justinwebb

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2009
I've tried everything you mentioned above. Still not asking for password. But I also found that if I try using a passlcok code that doesn't work either.

I hope you're not referring to me. First I don't have Installous installed. Second, the apps I'm having trouble with are both free. aNote Lite and Weatherbug. Please don't make assumptions like these just because there are many pirates in the forums.

So now that we're straight on that, I think it's a major concern that there was an odd email address in the popup window. If you think about it the email address is something a hacker would do as a joke.

I've deleted the email address and entered mine along with my password and the apps seemed install properly however, on the next reboot or respring they would both look like they didn't finish installing. In other words they had that black progress bar at the bottom and were semi-transparent. I had to delete them them 3 times to finally get rid of them. The first two times they reappeared in that partially installed state I described above.

I've jailbroken probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 iPhones/iPads and have never had these many problems or problems of this kind. I believe this jailbreak is buggy and if you happen to be lucky you'll be fine but for some, with the proper circumstances I believe it's going to be a problem. This forum is peppered with quite a few posts of people having problems with this jailbreak.

As I said in a different thread, I'm going to restore it and leave it as is. I enjoyed my JB'd iPhone but for now I don't trust this jailbreak.
actually yes i was referring to you, i never claimed you were pirating stuff so you went on that tangent by yourself. Do a google search and you will see primarily that is associated with cracked apps. I could care less what you do as it doesn't affect me just trying to help so back it down a few notches there chief

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
Yes I agree this is a very weird thing I have going on. I've read in other threads over the past few months where a user got a replacement iPhone and the previous owners email would still popup in the ID popups. But my iPhone is brand new and never owned by anyone else.

In the past I would always restore from a backup on my MBP but this is the first time I ever restored from iCloud. Is it possible that by iCloud backups have been compromised somehow? I have no idea. But I'm going to restore again and I'm going to restore from iCloud again but I'm not going to jailbreak.

If everything turns out okay and I have no issues then I'll have to assume it's the jailbreak. If on the other hand problems persist then it's most likely iCloud and if it is I'll get in touch with Apple to see if they can investigate the issue.

I also just remembered that about two months ago out of the blue my account was locked and I had to change my password. I had checked everywhere I could (App purchases, music/movies, emails sent, texts etc...) but found nothing out of the ordinary. So is it possible that Apple knows that my iCloud account was somehow compromised? I suppose it is possible. They never gave me any hint as to why my account got locked, just that I had to change my password.

If life doesn't get in the way I'll report back with what happens. Peace ;)

Well the one encouraging sign is that you are not alone in getting this random Steve rimjobs email popup. I'm sure you've googled your issue and have seen a number of other people dealing with with this. I say encouraging because usually when so many other people experience the exact same problem a solution is usually found and at the very least the cause of the problem is discovered.

Having said that, I did a little googling earlier today myself and the only solution I found was a complete restore as new, do not restore from a backup, then just set everything up manually (except you can sync contacts). After that, then jailbreaking fresh. I assume after restoring as new you could jailbreak then setup everything manually and sync contacts. I think the key is to bypass restoring from a backup.

monogasuki

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2009

Why are you making like you don't download cracked apps??? steve@rim.jobs is the email username for the person who is cracking these apps. This email is well known– take a look at the "apps" section under itunes, and command i to get info on any of the cracked apps, the account username is most likely "steve@rim.jobs".

The previous poster wasn't making an assumption on you, he was stating a fact.

The reason why it's popping up now, is because you don't have installous installed currently. If you install installous you can alleviate your problem with your cracked apps.

You have one or more (cracked) apps who's username does not match up with YOUR username. Its pretty simple. If you want to fix the problem, you need to either install installous, find the password for steve@rim.jobs, or buy the app under you username.

hamkor04

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2011
Really??? No one has any suggestions? Or a comment even?

Ive seen many stupid suggestions, and other advices like anable password for purchases. Really? They even not reed the post.
I got that think some times. Usually, it will not ask for 15min (as tuned) but some times it doesnt ask password. It is some kind of bug in itunes store. It is not in the phone. Because, itunes returns some kind of hash key or something to recognize ur password. It fails sometime

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.