HELP: Apple Maps - High Resolution Output

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by LERsince1991, Oct 21, 2014.

1. LERsince1991, Oct 21, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2014

LERsince1991 macrumors 65816

Does anyone know of any way of getting high resolution maps out of apple maps on the mac?

They have the best imagery (better compared to bing and google) of a site but I have a couple of issues:

1 - Is there a quick/easy way of saving high resolution maps from the app? an add on or script or other app?

2 - 3D is on and I can't see how to turn it off, this means that the maps aren't accurate as there is perspective applied.

3 - Or know where it stores the cached tiles so I can put them back together in photoshop?

I normally take a load of screen shots and get photoshop to automatically align them, but that takes a while and the 3d perspective will skew the result.

Any help!?

2. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

You can turn the 3D off by clicking on the 3D text on the lower right corner.

3. LERsince1991 thread starter macrumors 65816

I don't have that on Mavericks, Ive just looked into it and its just on Yosemite.
    Will have to upgrade soon...

I wonder if it actually turns 3d off though or if it just does the same as a button in mavericks. This just affects the tilt but it still loads up the 3d terrain etc... with a perspective view so when viewing even directly above it skews the image to the terrain.

4. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    I don't see a good way. Export PDF yields a 72dpi PDF.

"Save As", choose .png or .tif and entering a high dpi like 300 or 600 doesn't result in a sharp png or tif similar to if you were saving a vector image that way.

Unless someone discovers some way to spit out a map as a scalable vector image, the best way is probably buy a retina Mac so that you are displaying to more pixels and and then saving those images. Those still won't be very high resolution but better than rendering from a non-retina.

5. burne macrumors 6502

burne

Click the three buildings in the bottom bar. Blue is on, grey is off. The Mountain Lion version has a similar 3d like symbol above the map window.

[​IMG]

6. LERsince1991 thread starter macrumors 65816

It still loads in the 3d terrain and has a perspective on it, you can see this by looking at a canyon for example and panning around when in supposedly 2d mode.

Anyway, I got what I needed, went into the Apple Store today and used their new retina iMac, each screenshot was around 15k x 5k pixels and nearly 200mb each!