Help, Apple said MBP 13"'s fluoro display is within spec!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by watergun, Jun 25, 2009.

1. watergun macrumors regular

Just purchased a MBP 13" last week and immediately noticed inaccurate color display as mentioned in this forum. The panel is 9C9E. The blue is displayed as purple color and green as yellow/gold color. After I got my laptop diagnosed by apple's authorized service provider (ASP) which confirmed the color inaccuracy, I went back to the shop and got a replacement. Unfortunately it is also with identical panel and hence identical fluoro problem.

The shop suggested me to contact Apple hotline directly and after 3 very long days, Apple Customer Relations came back to me saying the monitor is within spec. They didnot even look at the physical laptop to come out with that conclusion. They only looked at some photos sent by the ASP. Now I am stuck. The shop will not give me a replacement nor a refund. Same with Apple.

I dont understand how a monitor displaying blue as purple color can be justified as within spec.

Can anyone give me a suggestion how to get someone higher up from Apple to look at this or pretty much I am screwed? Thanks.

2. pr33tz macrumors member

First of all, what model display do you have and have you tried calibrating it?

3. watergun thread starter macrumors regular

Panel is 9C9E and yes, I did try calibrating it using SuperCal and also some of the profiles posted here. Nothing worked. Blue is always purple.

4. pr33tz macrumors member

To be honest with you, my 9C9F still has a slight purple tinge to the blues but not as obvious as it was before calibration. I think all of them have this issue to some extent, something to do with the wider gamut capabilities. What are the greens/yellows/oranges like?

5. Nocturnal22 macrumors 6502

It is within Spec Thats how the new screens look your just not used to the 60% better gamut. I thought mine was messed up Cause my blues looked purple especially in google search links. But your eyes get used to the much better quality screen.

6. watergun thread starter macrumors regular

The green is florescent :D

Mine is very obvious and this is not just my observation alone. I pretty much asked all my colleagues in the office and my families at home about the color and the answers were unanimous - blue is purple and green is florescent. Even after calibrations. And no clues given to those people I asked.

Darn, should've kept my old uMB 13"... :mad:

7. watergun thread starter macrumors regular

Does it mean that better gamut always makes the blue looks purple? Sorry, I am not technical enough to understand the definition of gamut. To me, blue is supposed to be blue. And when blue is purple means the screen is better now? :confused:

8. Nocturnal22 macrumors 6502

so all blues on yours are purpleish or just the royal/dark type blues do you have a link to something that you can really notice the blues being purp and greens being yellow just so i can see how it looks on my screen?.

9. pr33tz macrumors member

*I think* What it means is that the links have always had a purple tinge to them but you never saw it with inferior screens. Now that you have a superior screen, it looks as it's supposed to.

Has anyone seen what these links look like on a professional display? Like the 24" LED ACD? Do they have a purple tinge?

10. superego macrumors member

I have an HP LP2065 S-IPS-panel which has been calibrated. Links in this forum have a slight purplish tinge.

Still, if your colours seem greatly off, it could be that the gamut is increased unevenly. Having too much of some hue doesn't help when there's too little of the other. Thus, inaccurate colours.

11. watergun thread starter macrumors regular

All links, even the un-royal ones, are purple. Bah, this is something that is very subjective - it's very difficult to quantify how much purplish hue is too much. But, all of the people who looked at my monitor said it's more purple than blue, not the other way.

12. watergun thread starter macrumors regular

Didnt have a chance to compare with ACD. Maybe should do that next time. But, I did a brief comparison among all the latest MBPs - 13", 15" and 17". In general, they all have purplish blue but 17" (maybe becoz it's a matte screen) has the least purplish hue. The blue is still blue. Unfortunately, it's way out of my league size wise.

13. superego macrumors member

Oversaturation of a "wrong colour" can be annoying. Basically, if you think it's too purple, you shouldn't have to put up with it. The human eye is adept at seeing what's not quite right, although describing what's not correct isn't as easy a task.

How does the quote button look like? It's very light blue with a tilt towards gray. It shouldn't have even a hint of purple.

14. watergun thread starter macrumors regular

Hm, your explanation is right on the money. The blue obviously looks purple to all the people who have looked at my screen. Not even 1 people said otherwise.

Unfortunately, I can't answer your question regarding the Quote button now since I don't have the machine with me. It is still being kept by the apple authorized service provider.

15. tdream macrumors 65816

LoL now this is comedy. Who is to say what colours looks better. I know what colours look better, that's why there is a standard out there to compare too. 60% colour gamut is pure baloney/nonsense/drivel. I have seen Sonys/Samsungs with higher colour gamut but never seen them change the colour the way the new screens do. This is another ploy from apple to send out inferior screens in their "might as well be the lowest common denominator macbook", people won't be able to tell the difference right? WRONG.

The yellows push the greens, the blues look like purples, the viewing angles are slightly better but the colours are way off. FACT, calibration isn't going to change a thing, I've tried several, all make it look OK. None change the principal factor that the screen is cheap, made by several manufacturers depending on which is the cheapest for them to order. Macbook Pro this certainly isn't.

16. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

Can you post a pic please? I wanna see what a fluoro screen looks like.

17. watergun thread starter macrumors regular

Cant post any picture since I dont have the machine. It's easy to simulate the problem tho if you have the new uMBP 13". Just do a google search and see if the links are blue or purple.

18. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

No, I think that there is a significant percentage of the 2009 displays that have defects. I don't know, and I am glad that I bought the late 2008 unibody.

19. tdream macrumors 65816

If I could turn back time... I would stay with the original.

The battery life is better, but not that much better at the cost of screwed up colours and I don't know what they did with the cooling, but it runs so hot. And because the fans need to be higher the noise is much louder than the original. It's not the processor temp that's the problem, it's the base of the MBP, everywhere is moderately cool, except for the centre underside, it's get unbelievable hot at default fan settings. You have to download a fan control app to reign the temps in. If I had to choose between screwed up colours or screwed up viewing angles I'd take the latter because I already become accustomed to that, now I've to readjust my senses for this MBP...