Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jim31

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2010
I just DL the trial version of Airparrot for my iMac (running Lion).

The program seems to work great in that it displays my iMac screen directly on my TV which is connected to my Apple TV (second gen). My question - although the mouse pointer does appear on the TV screen, I can't seem to move it or open any apps on the dock. What an I doing wrong?

My Mac is not in the same room as my ATV.

My iMac was purchased Dec 2010 so even though I may upgrade to Mountain Lion, Airplay mirroring for my system is not supported.

Thanks in advance.

Jim

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
airplay is one way, it only sends the video to the appleTV, you must still have a mouse and keyboard connected to your mac.

jim31

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2010
Help - Apple TV & Airparrot

Thanks for replying. Perhaps I don't understand how mirroring is supposed to work.

I start Airparrot from my iMac a then go out to my TV room and see my iMac home screen with the mouse pointer appearing. I was under the assumption that using the Apple TV controller, I could the control the computer remotely. All I can do is view the view the screen! What's the point of just viewing a static screen unless one has a movie playing.

Jim

wahtang

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2012
Can't get sound on TV from Airparrot

Pretty disappointed that Airplay doesn't work on my late 2010 iMac. I've the Airparrot trail version installed but are unable to Airplay the sound over to my TV.

Is there any setting that I need to do or simply this is not a supported feature for Airparrot.

I'm playing a movie from my Mac and current running Mountain Lion.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

muledogus

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2009
Pretty disappointed that Airplay doesn't work on my late 2010 iMac. I've the Airparrot trail version installed but are unable to Airplay the sound over to my TV.

Is there any setting that I need to do or simply this is not a supported feature for Airparrot.

Why aren't you just streaming to your ATV through iTunes?

blinkcowz182

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2008

Download 1.4.2 update and reboot.

Ronnoco

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
United States of America
Mid 2010 15" i5 MBP with 8 GB RAM here using the lastest version of Air Parrot in trial mode with a 27" ACD and 40" Sony NX710 (mid tier Cox internet with Motorola 6580 Modem/Router in bridge mode connected to 2010 Dual Band Apple Airport Extreme connected via ethernet to my MBP and ATV3). Fairly decent video with some lag especially with the Magic TrackPad pointer. Decent (and in-sync) audio on 720p YouTube video. I wish there was a way to disable the 27" ACD while pushing out to the Sony 40". It seems the MBP's graphic card is working REALLY hard to drive BOTH of these rather large monitors.

All in all a decent workaround for my disappointment of not being able to "mirror" my mid 2010 MBP or my late 2010 11" MBA to my 3rd gen ATV...:(

PJL500

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2011
Thanks for replying. Perhaps I don't understand how mirroring is supposed to work.

I start Airparrot from my iMac a then go out to my TV room and see my iMac home screen with the mouse pointer appearing. I was under the assumption that using the Apple TV controller, I could the control the computer remotely. All I can do is view the view the screen! What's the point of just viewing a static screen unless one has a movie playing.

Jim

If you use a Magic Trackpad and you are in line of sight (open door?) of the the iMac it makes a useful AirParrot remote. Probably not much use if a wall is in the way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.