Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Manj27

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
London
Hi,

Wonder whether anyone can help me with this frustrating issue I have with iphone syncs. Each time I connect the device to my PCI USB 2.0 card and open itunes & sync, the program gets confused. Some times it starts to sync then eventually says device timed out, then on some occassions it throws back a message saying read error on phone etc etc.

Is this a windows XP USB issue or itunes issue?

I can sync very easy on my USB port (attached to motherboard) running on the old and slow 1.1 version - but to transfer 1gb of music on this connection takes for years.

Any help much appreciated - thanks.

Sobe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2007
Wash DC suburbs
Hi,

Wonder whether anyone can help me with this frustrating issue I have with iphone syncs. Each time I connect the device to my PCI USB 2.0 hub and open itunes & sync, the program gets confused. Some times it starts to sync then eventually says device timed out, then on some occassions it throws back a message saying read error on phone etc etc.

Is this a windows XP USB issue or itunes issue?

I can sync very easy on my USB port (attached to motherboard) running on the old and slow 1.1 version - but to transfer 1gb of music on this connection takes for years.

Any help much appreciated - thanks.

Don't use the hub.

No i'm not being a wiseass, it seems like it hates your iPhone.

Plus, if your mobo can't do USB 2.0. a 2.0 hub is a waste.

If it is a desktop, you can add a USB 2.0 PCI card for very little money or work. Or even firewire.

Manj27

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
London
^ Sorry, I meant to say my PCI USB 2.0 Card (but as it has 4 ports - is it not acting similarly to a hub?).

Manj27

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
London
^ Sorry, I meant to say my PCI USB 2.0 Card (but as it has 4 ports - is it not acting similarly to a hub?).

Sobe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2007
Wash DC suburbs

my first guess would be that your PCI 2.0 card is not properly installed.

Have you used it with other hardware? Is it working flawlessly with file transfers on other hardware like an iPod or some other mp3-type device?

I'd probably uninstall and reinstall the drivers first and then try it.

If that didn't help I'd uninstall everything (including the hardware) and install it into a different PCI slot just to see if that matters.

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
I would say go to the cards website and make sure you have the latest drivers. Sounds like a card/driver/windows issue and not a problem with itunes.

Manj27

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
London
Thanks all for the above advise - I have carried out most of these suggestions and non have worked. The Card does work with other USB 2.0 devices i have atatched to it (for example it always worked with my sony walkman).

The card defintely does detect the phone as it starts to charge, but only during syncing has it been playing up.

Sobe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2007
Wash DC suburbs
Thanks all for the above advise - I have carried out most of these suggestions and non have worked. The Card does work with other USB 2.0 devices i have atatched to it (for example it always worked with my sony walkman).

The card defintely does detect the phone as it starts to charge, but only during syncing has it been playing up.

Have you tried all of the ports on your card?

Maybe try a different cable?

Maybe iTunes just hates one of them...

I would strongly suggest updating the drivers (as previously stated). Just go to the card maker's web site and see what they have.

The Bruce

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2007
Tucson, AZ
I have this problem. Everying on the PC checks out fine so this is a frustrating problem. I find that I can sync my iPhone when it is fully charged without any problem. Even a bit of usage will cause this issue to happen.

It seems to me that the iPhone disconnects but iTunes just keeps on going.

For reference I am using an: ASUS A7N8X-E mother board.

Sobe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2007
Wash DC suburbs
I have this problem. Everying on the PC checks out fine so this is a frustrating problem. I find that I can sync my iPhone when it is fully charged without any problem. Even a bit of usage will cause this issue to happen.

It seems to me that the iPhone disconnects but iTunes just keeps on going.

For reference I am using an: ASUS A7N8X-E mother board.

Boring answer I know but it's a good rule-of-thumb:

Update all your drivers..motherboard, usb cards, whatever you have.

It's something you should do anyway.

The Bruce

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2007
Tucson, AZ
Boring answer I know but it's a good rule-of-thumb:

Update all your drivers..motherboard, usb cards, whatever you have.

It's something you should do anyway.

I have, but I will check again.

I am thinking the problem is an issue on the iPhone. It's the iPhone that stops syncing, but the PC keeps going until it says the Device disconnected.

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
Also try uninstalling and re-installing itunes. The iphone driver could be corrupt.

Last resort would be to do a clean install of windows. Crappy solution but sometimes I've found to be the only fix for weird problems like this.

Manj27

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
London
I dont think the Apple driver is corrupt as when I connect the iphone to the USB 1.1 ports on my motherboard, the sync works just fine.

My gut feeling is that the sync is not working because of some power supply issues with the USB ports in my PCI USB 2.0 card (especially as my PC has a really old Power supply unit and my PC has almost all PCI slots taken up, connected to several drives etc) - I think perhaps the sync is failing is there is limited power being provided to the iphone.

Can one purcahse a power charger from apple which also allows simultaneous syncing as well?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.