Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BenEndeem

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2008
England
I was browsing the internet on my '08 iMac when the system suddenly froze immediately followed by the screen turning to nothing but vertical lines. I fear this may be an issue with the graphics card, but would anyone be able to offer any further insight? Thank you.

Zortrium

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
Probably either a bad video card or logic board. I'd keep using the machine and take it into Apple if it happens again. I'd also recommend taking a picture or video of it happening to show to Apple in case you can't replicate the problem in-store.

BenEndeem

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2008
England
I ran hardware test from the original boot CD, which returned an HDD error (4MOT/2/40000004:HDD-1456) and called Apple Care; the rather unenthusiastic technical support guy told me to run 'verify disk' and upon verification he claimed that the computer must be fine. I don't buy it at all, I'll try to ringing again.

anamilton

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
same thing happens to me

Reading your post I have tremendous deja vu sensation!

Same thing happens to me circa august 2008 (I bought the computer on March 2007) I can fix it -relatively- changing hard drive and installing SMC Fan Control, it work very well for a year aprox. but now I can´t turn it on, even from the OS CDs.

SAT says is a motherboard+graphic card issue, and believe me, it´s not a cheap reparation (circa 800€)

My advice: if your computer are in warranty, call SAT inmediatly, you can´t fix it by your own (maybe yes, if you are one of these real hardware geek magician :cool: ).

If it´s out of warranty... well, Apple recently lost a trial in France because the vertical lines problem (they have to repair for free 2 Imacs, judge says that´s "intrinsecal problem" of this machines) and now offer a warranty extension, but only for 17" machines (I talk to them last week) so you can pay SAT (abusive price, I think), try to get 2hand pieces on ebay, cry on Customer Service (don´t work) or fight them on court.

I choose last option: very similar problems, vertical lines, kernel panic... (equal, to me, but im not an hardware expert, just waiting for diagnosis) appears on a lot of 20" and 24" computer, IntelCoreDuo and IntelCore2Duo; serial numbers are in the same range of problematic 17" machines (starts with W86) but they wash their hands. I live in Spain, and warranty reclamations here are always completely nightmare, but this is worst than ever. Very disappointing and coward attitude, they only try to fix things when exist a legal precedent and their image become little dirty (=lost their money).

Now, Im triying to find more affected people and triying to make a correlation between bad machines and serial numbers, like 17" people does.

My tips:
Late 2006 24" Intel Core2Duo.
Serial number: W8642****GN

Please, contact me with your machine tips, could be really helpful in my reclamation. Also, I began a facebook group and a blog -in translation process to french and english too- I try to make all possible noise, and it will be easier if are more people involved.

Thank you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.