Help ASAP MacBook Air can't boot/USB stop working..

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by runtohell121, Oct 25, 2014.

1. runtohell121 macrumors 6502

Starting yesterday, the left side USB stopped working, couldn't charge my iPhone. I plugged in a USB hard drive and it powers it but doesn't detect it. So I decided to restart the computer and it fixed it temporarily. However, it was a pain to restart, just grey screen all the time until I got to AHC and let it run, then reboot.

I was stupid enough to restart the laptop again, to fix the USB problem... But unluckily, I'm unable to get it to boot.. Only grey screen of death. I tried many combinations and nothing worked.. Things I tried:
    Recovery mode
    AHC mode
    Safe mode
    Reset PRAM
    Reset SMC

Can't boot into anything.. What can I do? It's just sitting on the grey screen, not booting...
    This is a MacBook Air 11 (2011)

2. Lachhh macrumors regular

Doesn't sound like there's much else left to do but to take it into an Apple store and have it looked at. I wouldn't futz with it personally.

3. runtohell121 thread starter macrumors 6502

Problem is.. An Apple Store is at least an hour away.. Not really close to me. So I usually try to fix it myself if I can and the laptop is out of warranty also.

4. Lachhh macrumors regular

5. runtohell121 thread starter macrumors 6502

6. Lachhh macrumors regular

Have you read this article?
    http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2570

7. runtohell121 thread starter macrumors 6502

Seen/read some of it. Tried some of the steps but some doesn't apply. I already removed all the USB connected, only have power source connected. The only USB device I have connectrd would have been my ligntning cable to charge my phone anyways.

8. Lachhh macrumors regular

Well I personally can't think of anything to add to all the solutions presented therein, so I'm out.
    Cheers

9. runtohell121, Oct 25, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2014

runtohell121 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well.. Weird thing... After letting the MacBook Air sit for more than half an hour powered off.. It finally booted again. I really don't know if I should take precaution and back up everything in case it actually dies.. and take it in to Apple Store to see what they say about it....

When I ran AHC (full test) yesterday, it showed it had no problems....

edit: Although it booted up, the left side USB (next to power connector) isn't working once again... Same thing as last time, it is able to feed power to an external portable hard drive, but the computer won't detect it.

10. runtohell121 thread starter macrumors 6502

So anyone know if it's software problem or hardware problem? AHC said everything is fine... but left side USB just won't charge/detect any inputs. Only have 1 working USB port now. I am not going to restart my laptop for a while just because it's near impossible to boot it up...

11. joshlalonde macrumors 6502

joshlalonde

Here's what you need to do.
    1. Back up your data. Yes, you must. Else you will lose it.
    2. Shutdown and unplug your MacBook.
    3. Take it to the store. An hour's drive isn't that bad.
    4. Describe your problem. The rest is up to them.

Also, USB not working could be hardware or software problem. No way of knowing, specifically. I'm guessing hardware since it hasn't worked after resets.

12. runtohell121 thread starter macrumors 6502

Since I don't like using Time Machine/rather not restore computer if I reformat it.. Is there an option to backup the Keychain Access password/logins only? All my files are literally just pictures on Aperture (backed up frequently) and documents (in folders and flash drive). The programs/applications I can always install later via App Store or downloads.

I feel like Apple Store won't even be able to help much besides telling me to reformat/fresh install and running their own diagnostics. Since my laptop is out of warranty, I'm pretty much out of option for repairs.

Right now I'm literally scare to shut down the laptop as it's really hard to get it to boot up, at least the 2 times I've experienced it. Haven't shut down my laptop for 4 days now.

I will probably try going to an Apple Store this weekend if I have time and not overbooked.

13. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

A great backup option is a bootable USB device created with Carbon Copy Cloner. I use it monthly to augment my TM backupsm and recently utilized the CCC bootable to revert to Mavericks from Yosemite on an older mini.

14. joshlalonde macrumors 6502

joshlalonde

The fact that you are out of warranty is a problem. However, Apple should be able to give you an estimate for repairs.

15. runtohell121 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah... Not having warranty is terrible when it comes to Apple products. That's why I don't even know if I want to go to Apple Store or not...

On a side note, my MacBook Air 11 (2011) has a broken ambient light sensor/webcam module... and apparently it cost about $400 to replace from Apple Store. Though this should not effect the USB problem(?)

16. runtohell121 thread starter macrumors 6502

Decided to shut it down... Now can't boot back up lol... Only hear a chime and a blank white screen, no matter how long I leave it there for.

17. runtohell121 thread starter macrumors 6502

Alright, I finally had a chance to take it in... And they told me to ship it to Apple or something to do a diagnostics/repair that would cost anywhere from $280 to who knows what...

My plan is to sell the laptop as is later on just because it's not worth repairing. Is there anyway to format the SSD without being able to boot up? I don't have any enclosures or screwdrivers to take apart the back cover and get access to the SSD. Is there anyway to make a bootable USB just to format the SSD? Though if it's the logic board failure, the laptop would not be able to detect a USB?