help asap! new mac + goodies today + snow leopard upgrade

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sab150, Jul 27, 2009.

1. sab150 macrumors regular

hey everyone buying macbook pro and screen and stuff today but quick question regarding snow leopard upgrade, i know i can get this for 10pounds (uk) ish but what happens to all the software i am going to load onto it like creative suite and office?

also abit of a noob question so dont shoot me down, but when i upgrade to snow leopard will the computer be any diff from if i bought it in 2months time with snow leopard pre installed? will the MBP be able to take FULL advantage of snowleopard?? will it be any slower as it will effectivly be running two operating systems? also do they plan on making any hardware revisions to the macbook pro when snowleopard is released??

thanks in advance

2. ian.maffett macrumors 6502

ian.maffett

It is just going to upgrade the operating system. All that is pre-existing will still be there afterwards. Just think of it like repaving a road. It's the same road, just holes filled in and a shinier surface, etc. Additionally, it's not going to be running 2 OS's - it's still just OS X - upgraded. And yes, the one you buy today will be able to take full advantage of all SL has to offer.
    (although Apple can update their line at will, as we've all seen...)

3. sab150 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the quick reply!

hopefully picking it up later this evening, im slighly dubious about the screen as i will be using it for graphics, but also movies and things aswel

any thoughts?

4. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

You will hear purists bitching about the glossy screen. Most, however, also bitched from CRT to LCD transition also. You will love the display.

5. sab150 thread starter macrumors regular

i thought as much!

can anyone tell me what happens with my software i.e creative suite etc when i update to snow leopard? ..will it run from the same location as it was in leopard? or would it be better to uninstall everything and when i upgrade to snow leopard re install, would it run faster this way?

sorry for all the questions, but great help so far -thanks

6. Kenndac macrumors 6502

Kenndac

99% of your apps will be absolutely fine, and will still be in your Applications folder after you upgrade. I've been using OS X since 10.0 and have upgraded loads of times.

However Adobe's apps are very... particular about their licensing. When I upgraded from 10.4 to 10.5, I had to reinstall Photoshop CS3 because it didn't like the changes that were made to the system "behind its back". No harm was done - I just had to uninstall and reinstall Photoshop. To be super ultra safe you could uninstall before upgrading then install again after. This won't affect performance, it just might prevent headaches with Adobe's stupid licensing/activation stuff.

7. sab150 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks il bear that in mind!

also while we are on the subject.. does anyone know if students get discount on apple tv??

ha sorry were not "on the subject" i asked advice earlyer on another thread about student discounts grr!

8. Igantius macrumors 65816

No, it's the reverse - students/staff pay a penny extra.

9. akutad macrumors regular

akutad

I would love to see archives of people complaining about the crt to lcd transition. What was the problem then? LCD quality??

10. kmaute macrumors 6502

kmaute

CRTs are typically regarding as easier on the eyes. I'm not sure I buy it, I never noticed much of a difference. That may have something to do with replacing my 6+ year old 14" CRT with a 19" LCD when I built my first linux box in 2004. The difference in screen resolution was staggering.

Although you don't have to, I'd advise doing a complete reinstall of your OS when SL ships. I know you can upgrade, I've been around *nix systems long enough to recognize the benefit over M$ but still - do a clean install and your system will be better for it.

11. afters macrumors member

Just so you know, even Mac's purchased in 2 months (post Snow Leopard) are unlikely to have it pre-installed anyway. You'll get the same upgrade disc included in the box (and Leopard installed as default) as you would if you applied for the upgrade disc separately on a purchase now.

The first time Snow Leopard will come pre-installed with a Mac is after a refresh of the particular line. At least this was generally the case with Leopard....

12. ian.maffett macrumors 6502

ian.maffett

Unsure of archives of it on this site but I can attest to this, myself. I have known 2 art directors personally who held off as long as possible on the LCD upgrade as they swore by their color correctable CRT beasts. I don't know if it was just the investment or otherwise but they loved those displays and even when the did agree to the upgrade (both) chose to do so from the least impacting person up - 1 at a time and with time to adjust. Glossy was a whole different catastrophe to follow...
    Not me, though - I love mine.

13. sab150 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks thats really helpfull info!

and i can imagine the transition from crt/lcd would have been way worse than what is happening now!

anyways went to the store cash in hand, loved the glossy and compared it to the anti glare 17" which looked great too..but i cant understand how the black levels were so much better on the glossy compared to the anti glare if they use the same panels but with a glass sheet over?

also i found the anti glare more useable but i imagine in a controlled environment the gloss would blow it away

..what to do?