Help, AT&T iPhone in Canada

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by chrisk121, Mar 15, 2011.

1. chrisk121 macrumors newbie

I purchased an iPhone online. I found out it was originally from AT&T and I think it is still locked. The phone is a 16GB iPhone 4, Baseband 02.10.04, Firmware 4.1 and jailbroken. As far as I know, that cannot be unlocked. What am I supposed to do? Will Apple unlock it for me?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, noone can officially unlock a US iphone.
    They're all locked to AT&T.
    What you should do is try to sell it and just buy a factory unlocked from an Apple store in Canada cause who knows when and if the next unlock will be out.

3. jdaniel macrumors 65816

If you need to use it urgently sell it on Howardforums or craigslist. If not hold on to it for a while (but could be a while) and wait for an unlock, but no one knows when. Depends on how much you paid for it. If you live in Canada full time, and you are looking for a used phone you should check out the above 2 sources and always deal in person.

4. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Why didn't you purchase a factory unlocked phone from your apple store? Get rid of that locked monstrosity and get a factory unlocked instead.

5. jdaniel macrumors 65816

He wouldnt have purchased online from the US if he wanted to pay full price at the store.. I dont think. Probably used, I am guessing, or bought at a good price as compared to Canadian prices.

6. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

The OP just paid several hundred dollars for what amounts to a paperweight, at worst, or an ipod touch, at best. It's not a good price if you can't use the phone. :rolleyes:

7. jdaniel macrumors 65816

Thats not my point, there is no point harping on what he did... innit..my point is that I doubt he would want to fork out that kind of money if he had bought it online to begin with. Plus he had already spent the money, getting rid of it in canada would be a problem, so best is to wait,or lose money. Mistake made, no point throwing more money at it.

8. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

The OP could sell the phone now and save some additional money to purchase a factory unlocked phone. The idea is feasible.
    Hopefully, the OP now understands the money was wasted.