HELP! atypical Mac Pro Firmware

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by newtech, Dec 8, 2007.

1. newtech macrumors 6502

My mac pro MLB has atypical firmware on it. The EFI firmware updaters wont recognise the board preventing updates. Any help appreciated.

Model Name: Mac *( should read Mac Pro )*
    Model Identifier: M43ADP1,1 *(should read MacPro1,1)*
    Processor Speed: 3.0 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 2
    Total Number Of Cores: 8
    L2 Cache (per processor): 8 MB
    Memory: 4 GB
    Bus Speed: 1.33 GHz
    Boot ROM Version: AAPLM431.004E.B00 *( should start MP....)*
    SMC Version: 1.7f0
    Serial Number: System Serial#

FTR
    processors are overclocked Xeon E5340 engineering samples.

2. iSavant macrumors regular

Very interesting,,, but what are you asking for help with?

Is it broken? :confused:

3. newtech thread starter macrumors 6502

Need help changing the firmware. Slot utility and Printer setup utility wont run as they don't think it is a Mac pro due to the odd firmware. my guess is it is a pre-release version of firmware.

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Does it work if you put the original CPUs back?

5. newtech thread starter macrumors 6502

Not an option, and not a processor issue really ( all 51XX and 53XX processors are interchangeable, 52XX and 54XX as well )

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

How can you be sure the firmware doesn't detect the CPUs and report engineering firmware values if the CPUs are the retail ones? Unless you put the Apple provided CPUs back you can't rule it out.

7. newtech thread starter macrumors 6502

I'd say if the firmware had an issue with the processors it would not boot at all. my issues are strictly with software not running due to not seeing the correct firmware version and ID string. UB and intel code run fine so long as they do not check ID string or firmware version.

8. Transeau macrumors 6502a

Transeau

i think you are very wrong :)

The firmware update utility is seeing that it's a Quad board with 8 cores.
    It's going to refuse to run. The Firmware utility is going to look at the model, and check the hardware to make sure that everything is as expected.

The issue you are seeing is that the firmware also contains a Microcode Update (see Intel for info on this). That Microcode is for Dual Core processors. This is going to make the update utility reject the system.

Put the original CPU's back in, or find any 51xx CPU's (NOT ES) and then run it again.

9. Transeau macrumors 6502a

Transeau

Oh yeah... your model... "M43ADP1,1" is a Developer Preview box. It will NEVER accept a normal firmware update. Also, your board doesn't have a serial number...

So, you either got really hosed by Apple, or you have an old developer box that was never going to be supported anyway.

10. Transeau macrumors 6502a

Transeau

11. newtech thread starter macrumors 6502

Still investigating possabilities for a blind flash. Moving cautiously to avoid bricking it, blind flashing from console is risky. As far as I can tell all the "safeguards" against cross flashing are in the GUI, just a matter of passing the correct parameters to the executable module from the console.

As for serial number, ALL refurbished MLB have null serial numbers. Has been that way at least since the first new world ROM boards.

12. waremaster macrumors 6502

Based on the info the OP provided I would say you nailed it.

13. Transeau macrumors 6502a

Transeau

Not true at all. A null serial means the tech was clueless, or the board is an engineering sample. My Mac Pro's board was replaced because of a bad FW800 port, as well as my wife's MB's board for a damaged DIMM socket. Both have the original serial in the profiler.

14. Transeau macrumors 6502a

Transeau

I agree and being that he stated the CPUs are overclocked, he's either lying or or it's not a real Mac Pro, as there is no means to overclock with a real board.

15. newtech thread starter macrumors 6502

FYI

Xeon E5340 are 2.4GHz with a 1066 MHz FSB, but CAN be overclocked to 3.0GHz by forcing the BSEL2 line high to make the FSB 1333 MHz. This can be done either by taping the land or via overclocking tools under Windows. Please see the below link. The E5320 is similar to the E5340 as to clocking and bus speeds.

http://www.o0o.it/pro/

The board is a genuine Mac Pro board which has an unusual EFI boot ROM on it.

If you have no advice fine, but don't make accusations of lying when YOU don't know what you are talking about.

16. Transeau macrumors 6502a

Transeau

Which takes us back to... it's not a production Mac Pro...
    No way in hell Apple would ship a box OR a replacement board without a production firmware. So maybe you flashed it with something... either way you are leaving out a lot of detail and this is the true reason that you aren't getting any help.

As for overclocking, sorry I don't keep up. I can afford to but fast hardware and let it be covered by warranty. I left that crap back in my 20's when I made less than I do now.

17. newtech thread starter macrumors 6502

Mea culpa if it was not clear that this was a refurb board purchased from an AASP.

Serial Numbers...

Historically, if a MLB was replaced by a non Apple store shop ( but an AASP ) the serial number was left null. The reasoning was that the tool ( Blank Board Serializer ) had tremendous potential for abuse. Recently that tool, BBS, was modified to only work on boards with a null S/N and distributed to AASP's.

The 2 MB flash ROM on the Mac pro contains several discreet items such as...

ID strings. Apple copyright info

Serial Number ( encodes model, factory ID, build year and week, unit production number )

SMC firmware ( power/fan management )

EFI firmware ( boot ROM )

18. newtech thread starter macrumors 6502

"...well I'm not the only one..." ( there is at least another M43ADP1,1 AND an M42ADP1,1 that I have seen in the wild )

19. Transeau macrumors 6502a

Transeau

oh very clear... But I think you are missing the key point. You do NOT have a Mac Pro motherbaord. At least not a production one. I would personally recommend contacting Apple and having them make the service center replace the board with the correct one, and not a referb / engineering sample.

Actually, I'm not sure why would wouldn't have done this a long time ago.