Help: Audio files doubled up in a peculiar way.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by haychroro, Aug 13, 2013.

1. haychroro macrumors newbie

Hey guys,
    I've had my MBP for just over a year now. The only issue I'm having with it is that I'm running out of space. I checked my storage summary and it says approximately 80gigs of my space is taken up by audio files.
    However, the figure it gives me is a tiny bit over double the amount of music I have in my iTunes library (40gb) I've used mac sweepers and all that to clear some more space but to no avail. I've also searched for a solution to this problem but I can't seem to find info anywhere, the only conclusion I'm left with is that duplicates of my music exist somewhere on my hard drive.
    Could someone please:
    a) Verify this for me
    b) Tell me what the problem is
    c) Tell me how to fix it?

I'd be most appreciative if someone could help.
    And I know I could get a bigger hard drive or take it to the genius bar but I don't want to try mod my MBP myself (besides, that wouldn't fix the problem) and I'm struggling to find time to get to the apple store at the moment.
    Thanks! :)

2. scbond macrumors 6502

If you keep your own music separate from the iTunes music and not touched any settings then when you add your own music into iTunes it'll create duplicates in the iTunes folder. I've even selected not to do this when it asks and turned this setting off in preferences and it still does it.