Help: Audio Set Up for Mac Pro / Garage Band

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by gvdv, Jan 26, 2008.

1. gvdv macrumors regular

Hi,
    After years of research, I finally bought a mac pro and Presonus Firestudio (audio interface) for audio recording (I'll be doing some video editing, too).

However, after reading the Firestudio set up instructions twice and installing the drivers, I then plugged the unit in and couldn't get a signal with my microphone.

I'm new to Mac, an suspect that I have to go into audio preferences somewhere to set buffer size/driver latency.

I didn't install the Cubase software that was enclosed with the Firestudio because I want to try Garage Band first, and it's possible that there is some kind of set up through that program, but I want to do it through the Mac.

If anyone can help me with setting up the Presonus with the Mac Pro, I'd be very grateful.

By the way, I have added RAM to the Mac so that I have 5GB, and have an additional, 1TB Seagate Barracuda HD (with another to come, I think).

Thanks,

2. gvdv thread starter macrumors regular

Setting Up and Audio Interface in Garage Band and 10.4.9

Thanks for all the help.

Just in case somebody else who had the same problem as me is reading this thread, I'll post some help on how I solved the recording problem in garageband and about a small problem that I'm still having.

Your audio interface should be turned on before you carry out the following.

First, I went into System Preferences on the computer itself by clicking the Apple logo in the upper left corner, chose System Preferences, and then chose Sound, under the Hardware option. (This is OS 10.4.9. Garageband 3).

Under Sound, you should see your audio interface listed, if the computer has recognized it. Choose your audio interface in both the Inputs and Outputs tabs.

Finally, open garageband, and choose Preferences under the garageband option at left of the menu bar, next to the apple logo. Then choose Audio/MIDI and choose your audio interface for both Audio Input and Audio Output.

Go back to the program itself and create and ready a track, not forgetting to turn the 'monitor' switch for the track, on (its default is 'off'), and also not forgetting to click the headphone icon for the track, and turn the headphone monitor up for your audio interface.

You should now be able to hear the track in your headphones.