Help! Audiophile type earbuds for running

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by NWI73, Dec 13, 2011.

1. NWI73 macrumors 6502a

I am looking for some audiophile type earbuds that will not fall out during running. I don't need hardcore audiophile earbuds, but don't want $10 sony's from target. Looking to be a little heavier on the bass side and SQ is decently important as I will be using them when not running too. My skullcandy's are ok, sound is very bass heavy but they will not stay in my ears regardless of what inserts I use. I searched a lot on this forum but threads were scattered and no useful info was obtained.

2. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

I swear I have no affiliation with Monster, Dr. Dre or anything.

I'm an avid runner and run anywhere from 6-20 miles and also compete in races. Before I got the Tour beats, I use to run with Motorola BT audio which worked great since it had no wires until it stopped. Apparently it wasn't as water/sweat proof as it advertised. I went through several until I called it quits. I tried the Apple in-ear and that worked great also. Then I finally went to the Tour beats solo. It comes with an attachment that hooks the earbuds to your ear for a more secure fit during a more rigorous activity. I've ran over 20 miles at one time with and never had a problem with it coming off.

However, it's not really about the earphones, but the placement of it and your iPod. There has to be a little distance of the earphones to your ears and your iPod. You don't want the cord to be drawn out and constantly pulling. Also, you have to make sure the cord is not in your way. Best way is to have under your shirt or have it go through the back of your head.

3. NWI73 thread starter macrumors 6502a

While I may consider beats stuff, I am very inclined to decline.

4. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Not a problem. But when running, sound doesn't really. Your focus is elsewhere. Like I said, placement of the cord is the most important and making sure your earphone have a tight, in-ear fit with a back-up outer ear anchor.

5. tablo13 macrumors 65816

tablo13

Klipsch S4 and Shure SE215 are just basic recommendations I give

6. crazyaaa macrumors newbie

Been using these Bose IE2 for about a year now. I have gone through about 3-4 other pairs of ear buds in the same price range ($100-$150) over several years. These are, by far, the best for running and working out.

http://www.amazon.com/Bose-327279-0020-Bose®-audio-headphones/dp/B003XU6H8I

They stay in my ears so well, that I have allowed my phone to slip out of my pocket and the earphones kept it from falling to the floor. The phone just dangled there with all it's weight hanging from the ear buds mounted in my ear, lol.

I am an audiophile, so I spent some time exploring many other brands besides the 'cliche' Bose, but I have since become a Bose defender. In fact, the build quality of these is what sets them apart from others that sound just as good. Just go try em out.

7. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Westone UM2s are outstanding and work great for runs.

-Over the ear design keeps cord down your shirt/back.
    -Best dual-driver and have terrific life and durability.
    -Read some reviews on Headfi.org and drool over these.

8. NWI73 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Those sound fantastic and reviews are all positive but I need something more isolating than those unfortunately otherwise I would be sold.

9. SweetLou122 macrumors regular

meelectronics m6, great reviews, very solid bass but also clear mids and highs. Can be found for 20$ (retail 50) and run over the ear. Over the ear is best for running imo, and the low microphonics are equally as important as the fitment and sound. Ticks all the boxes most sub 100 iems cant, and you don't have to worry about sweat etc.

The clear is pretty cool as well http://www.amazon.com/MEElectronics...0K2U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323847525&sr=8-1

10. NWI73 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm looking into the Klipsch s4's....seem to be great for the price, just unsure about how well they will stay in my ears.

Wow they do get good reviews for such an inexpensive earbud. Is the SQ really that great?

11. SweetLou122 macrumors regular

yes they are incredible for the price. For an exercise headphone they're great. Some people don't like over the ear fitment, but you could then get the m9 model for 10 (retail 30) which have the same drivers. I have both and they are fantastic for the price, blow my ultimate ears out of the water.

I am in no way associated with meelectronics, I have just purchased a few sets of their iems, and portable (ht-21) headphones, and have been very impressed/