Help! Auto shutdown in Mac OS 10.4

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cacatua, Jun 27, 2007.

1. cacatua macrumors newbie

After working fin for 9 month my powerbook has quit the service. 20 seconds after typing of the password the screen gets grey and shows an image of the power button and the information that I have to restart written in 5 laguages. Only the power butten still works, keyboard and touchpad are switched off. In the background you can see a information window, that the session has been interrupted unawaited.
    Is that a virus. Does anybody Know, what to do? Thanks!

2. bartelby macrumors Core

You've just had a kernel panic.

Just restart and keep an eye on it. Have you made any changes to the system: more RAM?

3. marioman38 macrumors 6502a

marioman38

It's Mac's version of a BSoD... No need to panic unless it happens again in the near future...

4. cacatua thread starter macrumors newbie

No changes at all. But your diagnosis is great. The report shows: "panic(cpu 1 trailer 0x001A429B): Unresolved kkernel trap etc."

No, as I started the notebook 2 hours later it works.

Is that reliable? What have I to do for healing the system?

5. bartelby macrumors Core

Kernel Panics aren't really anything disastrous unless they happen repeatedly.

I've had a few in the years of using OS X. I've only ever restarted, repaired permissions and gone on my merry way.

6. cacatua thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, I'd had three repeats of panic, now it works. I'll get permissions repaired and join you on the merry way. Last question if you can estimate it: After how many repeats you think this to get a matter of warranty? How many repeats Apple awaits me to tolerate?