Help backing up a broken macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dxr808s, Aug 2, 2011.

1. dxr808s macrumors member

I am helping out a friend that has a broken MacBook Pro.

I think he brought it to an Apple tech and they wanted a lot of money to fix it and/or back it up.

I believe they told him it was a failed video card or something related to video.

It will randomly boot up completely, but most of the time it just boots to weird hazy design-like lines all over the screen. Most of the time, a different pattern. After it boots, it stays up for a while before it starting again.

What I can't tell is, if the actual system is failing, or just the screen. It seems like the whole system freezes and can't be accessed.

For instance, if I start to run some files to a backup external, I don't think it finishes the process if it starts acting up.

I have so far only backed up about 5GB out of 100. It has been tedious to try and get those, as well. Not looking forward to the other 95. Unless...

There is a way to copy his disc over to the external another way? Or network in with my iMac? How do I set up permissions to do that on his and mine (if possible)?

Last bit. He is going to probably just replace the whole thing with a new MBP and that will most likely be running Lion. He is currently running Snow Leopard. Will there be any complications backing up in specific ways when he goes to try and recover the files with his new one?

Thanks for any possible help!

2. simsaladimbamba

3. dxr808s thread starter macrumors member

There is firewire on both machines, but they are two different sized connections.

Is there any other way?

4. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Easiest way is to simply take out the hard drive itself and replace the MacBook.

There's no way around a failed graphics chip. That's a full logic board replacement; practically, that laptop's guts are entirely being replaced. Screen replacement is only $200 or so; logic board cost at least $500.

Do NOT tell him to back up; it might be useless. Make him get the new MacBook Pro first, then tell him to swap the hard drives inside. Takes only 20 minutes.

But, if your friend really wants to keep the OEM hard drive of a new MacBook Pro, then the best suggestion is to use the fastest connection available (Ethernet or FW800). Target Disk Mode and/or Carbon Copy Cloner works well.

5. simsaladimbamba

Yes, an appropriate FW400 to FW800 cable as shown below:
    [​IMG]

6. dxr808s thread starter macrumors member

Thanks to both you of you guys for your help so far.

I guess we will try to order that cable and try out the tdm.

Again though, will there be issues when he tries to restore the backup to a Lion install?

Also, lastly I must ask, is there any way to do it now, wirelessly?

7. dxr808s thread starter macrumors member

Useless in what way? Is it not worth a try?

I think he has to trade up to the new MB. So I don't know if keeping any parts are an option.