HELP! Backing up somebody else's iPhone to my Mac...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NStocks, Mar 10, 2011.

1. NStocks macrumors 65816

Hi,

A friend wants be to transfer a load of music to there iPhone 3GS. They do not have their own backup (he's a relative's friend, 14 years old), so I've had to do everything for him up until now.

He has around 8 pages of Apps, plus all the other content... I've managed to get all the music copied to my Mac, but when I try and sync only music, iTunes wants to "Erase and Sync" everything.

I think it would be good if I create a complete copy of his iPhone so that when he wants more music etc. I don't have to go through this whole process again (unless the music only sync will work)

How would I copy all of his content including texts etc. then import that to iTunes on the same Mac, then re-sync?

I've already spent over 1hour copying the music (senuti) but he's coming for it later on tonight.

Thank You!

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

With the iPhone, some media will only sync in one direction (from your computer to your iPhone), and some will sync in both directions. Briefly:

One direction - Music, Audio, Videos, Books, etc.

Both directions - Contacts, Calendars, Apps, etc. ​

Therefore, you can't transfer his music to your computer without a third party program; for obvious reasons the music industry won't allow Apple to include this functionality with iTunes.

That's why iTunes wants to "erase and sync" because its intended to exactly mirror your iTunes library.

You can easily backup data like texts, contacts, the photo roll, etc. by creating an iPhone Backup. More on that, here.

Hope this helps.

3. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

I have managed to backup ALL music, it's just all the other content like Apps and texts. I wasn't aware that the back-up backed all the apps too... My Brother had his iPhone 4 replaced and it was backed up on his own mac. He went to sync the new iPhone but the apps and texts didn't come back.

Thank You

4. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

I've learnt that the backup won't backup the applications themself and it would be of huge inconvenience for him to re-install each application. Is there any way to add music only?

Thank You