HELP: Backing Up Time Capsule Data

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nim6us, Feb 13, 2014.

1. nim6us macrumors member

nim6us

I'm exploring the Time Capsule setup and I see you can also use your Time Capsule as a file server to save and share data. However maybe I'm missing something, but it doesn't look like that data gets backed up. If the Time Capsule dies can you retrieve that data? If not what's a good alternative to backup that data?

2. dirtnnasty macrumors member

what?

If TimeMachine says, it backed up, then it backed up... if not, then not...
    But you have to activate TimeMachine...This is one premise...

If the Time Capsule "dies", then you cannot get your data back (except the logic boar is broken but the HDD not)...

3. GSPice macrumors 68000

GSPice

Dude if the Time Capsule dies you get a new Time Capsule. You don't back up Time Capsule data, you back up your machine's data.

4. nim6us thread starter macrumors member

nim6us

The Time Capsule is for backing up your computer, and auxiliary function is that you can use your Time Capsule as a file server. Now if the Time Capsule dies, you've got your computer so no need for the backups. But if your saving files like a file server you need a way to retrieve those files. I guess I was hoping the Time Capsule could fulfill the function of a NAS. However unless you can backup your data it's not really a good option as a NAS replacement.

5. dirtnnasty macrumors member

As far your NAS have no RAID, there is no difference between TC and NAS...

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Nope... you are correct that if the TC dies that data is gone. What you could do is hang a USB drive off the TC and use something like Carbon Copy Cloner or similar to copy the data from the TC to the USB drive and that would be your backup.

7. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

Doesn't the Archive Disk -option in Airport Utility copy the disk to an external drive? Or does it only copy the sparsebundles?

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Oh yeah... that would work fine. But you would have to open Airport Utility and manually do this each time you wanted to backup the data. I was just thinking something like CCC would automate it.

9. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

Oh, absolutely right :)

10. nim6us thread starter macrumors member

nim6us

Thanks for the feeb Weasel and Lauri! Those are excellent options, my data appreciates your input :D